American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is taking forever to carb - tried another last night. It's about 1/2 carbed. Tastes good though. Oh well - wait another 2 weeks... Drink different beer...

So FINALLY this is good.

When I made this, it was my first all-grain batch and turned out to be "one of those batches".
-couldn't get the right hops (no simcoe)
-messed up the hop additions (didn't do the continuous thing)
-ended up siphoning a bunch of trub/hops/junk in to the bottling bucket
-bucket spigot was open, and I did not notice until my feet were getting wet

Anyhow I just let this sit for 6 months, trying one every now and then and it was always gross. I had written it off for cooking only, but then it eventually got buried beneath other (more cooperative) batches. Now, I just had one last night and it's GREAT! Clear as a whistle, perfect carbonation, and a perfect balance of bitterness/malt. If it didn't have so much sediment in it I'd be able to enter this in a competition.

Time really does work wonders on a ****ty beer. NEVER DUMP ANYTHING.

I'm making 10 gallons of this today, well with just a few changes.

I am out of amber malt, so I"m using Rahr two-row for the base, with .50 pound of melanoidin malt and .25 pound of victory malt instead of the amber.

I lowered the grainbill a tad, to target 1.060 for the OG so I'm using 22 pounds of the Rahr two-row. I'm using magnum for bittering, and WLP001 for the yeast strain.

Other than that, it's going to be the same. :drunk:

I'm trying this one next and also lowered the grain bill to about the same OG target you did. I was also thinking of adding a tad bit of 40L to up the color just slightly. What do you think of this:

Batch size: 5 Gallons

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 14.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
7.4 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.73 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.49 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.49 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
1.10 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
0.55 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 65.9 IBUs
Est Color: 6.9 SRM

Continuous hop additions per instructs.

I haven't messed with the gravity adjustment feature much in Beersmith so just wanted to make sure the grain to hops ratios seem right.

Hey Yooper. Have you ever tried it with the Palisade addition? I've seen the Brew 365 recipe has it and apparently Dogfish uses them. Your recipe, my beer came out great. I'll be dropping the honey malt and scaling down to 6%, maybe use some palisade in the end.

Hey Yooper. Have you ever tried it with the Palisade addition? I've seen the Brew 365 recipe has it and apparently Dogfish uses them. Your recipe, my beer came out great. I'll be dropping the honey malt and scaling down to 6%, maybe use some palisade in the end.

No, I've never used palisade hops. Or honey malt, now that you mention it!

Yooper said:
No, I've never used palisade hops. Or honey malt, now that you mention it!

My bad, I just through in the honey malt cause I had it, I wouldn't do it again though. I haven't done anything with Palisade yet, not sure what it brings to the party. Not sure where Brew 365 got Glacier for a dry hop addition.

Enjoying now. Thanks Yooper! Even with a couple newb mistakes on my part, still turned out a great beer. Nice work.

jQTVPNSSWOLUw.jpg

Probably within these 160 pages, but is there a 90 minute clone floating around? That is my favorite by far.

My hop aroma and flavor is fading faster than I thought. I used more hops than the recipe called for too, hmmm.

Just brewed my second batch of this...tossed in some Wyeast American Ale II in this batch. Fingers crossed this batch is as good as the first

repitched yesterday with some S-05 to try and revive it so it can go a few points lower than the 1.030 its been stuck at for 2 weeks.. hope it helps.

Ok so the American Ale II is working overtime because this morning I woke up to a pantry full of yeast trub on the ceiling, walls and floor. The airlock and bung got completely blown off. First time that has ever happened to me. Next few days will be scrubbing and repainting

Just picked up a six pack of this for the first time in a while and man...it doesn't even resemble the beer it once was. I know we're going through some challenges with hop availability but I was really disappointed. Going to have to brew up another 10 gallons of this to take me through the summer.

KozHops said:
Just picked up a six pack of this for the first time in a while and man...it doesn't even resemble the beer it once was. I know we're going through some challenges with hop availability but I was really disappointed. Going to have to brew up another 10 gallons of this to take me through the summer.

I know what you mean. I got a 6er last weekend and remember thinking the same thing. I'll be kegging this batch on Saturday, can't wait to see how it turned out. The sample was promising

Are you guys getting old six packs? Tastes the same to me. I highly doubt they alter the recipe of that beer, I imagine they're well connected with the hops supplier.

Are you guys getting old six packs? Tastes the same to me. I highly doubt they alter the recipe of that beer, I imagine they're well connected with the hops supplier.

Agreed. Dogfish doesn't seem like the type of brewery to skimp on quality.

No, the one I got was bottled on 4/25/12. It just had a different taste to it. I'd probably compare the flavor to a Harpoon IPA, not a bad IPA at all, just not the 60 I'm accustomed to drinking.

KozHops said:
No, the one I got was bottled on 4/25/12. It just had a different taste to it. I'd probably compare the flavor to a Harpoon IPA, not a bad IPA at all, just not the 60 I'm accustomed to drinking.

Hmm. They did recently expand, new equipment? I know here where I'm at Troegs beer hasn't been quite the same since they moved, adjustment phase to new equipment and water maybe.

repitched yesterday with some S-05 to try and revive it so it can go a few points lower than the 1.030 its been stuck at for 2 weeks.. hope it helps.

So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.

So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.

Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.

Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.

TrubHead said:
Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.

Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick

Yooper said:
Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.

Yooper, I already checked the hydrometer a few days ago.plain water @ 60F: 1.000. Got nothing but to dry hop and bottle.Probably keep an eye as it bottle conditions if the caps start to budge.
However, if the yeast aint acting on the sugar now, why would they act once bottled.

Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick

Shake/swirl the crap out of it. I had to do just that (vigorous sloshing) since an earlier light shaking didn't get the yeast going.

Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob

Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob

I don't usually use bags, (they are hard to get IN the carboy, but much harder to get out!) but if you do simply sanitizing them or boiling them is fine. No need to do anything to the hops at all.

Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?

JeffoC6 said:
Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?

See if you can get it down more from 1.020, unless your OG was high. DFH 60 always has a certain roasty toasty quality to it that no one else seems to relate to, maybe this is what you're talking about? It's still hoppy with citrus but it has something unique, different than all other IPA's.

See if you can get it down more from 1.020, unless your OG was high. DFH 60 always has a certain roasty toasty quality to it that no one else seems to relate to, maybe this is what you're talking about? It's still hoppy with citrus but it has something unique, different than all other IPA's.

My OG was 1.071. My target FG was 1.021, so I think I'm good at 1.020?
It definitely was "roasty." Reminded me of a coffee flavor, although, I'm not a coffee drinker.

JeffoC6 said:
My OG was 1.071. My target FG was 1.021, so I think I'm good at 1.020?
It definitely was "roasty." Reminded me of a coffee flavor, although, I'm not a coffee drinker.

Yeah, that's pretty good, 6.6%. How's a bout thinking it this way; grilled fruit, like grilled slightly bitter pineapples?

Shake/swirl the crap out of it. I had to do just that (vigorous sloshing) since an earlier light shaking didn't get the yeast going.

Shook it, even racked to secondary for dry hopping. That should have roused the yeast a bit too (not too forget that I repitched S-05, without any luck. I have decided to go ahead and bottle it at 1.030 on Saturday. Any suggestions which may help me avoiding bottle bombs? Less priming sugar?? no priming sugar?? Releasing the pressure after a few days and recapping the bottles? Something else?
I really dont want these blowing up in the closet or in my face :confused:

Shook it, even racked to secondary for dry hopping. That should have roused the yeast a bit too (not too forget that I repitched S-05, without any luck. I have decided to go ahead and bottle it at 1.030 on Saturday. Any suggestions which may help me avoiding bottle bombs? Less priming sugar?? no priming sugar?? Releasing the pressure after a few days and recapping the bottles? Something else?
I really dont want these blowing up in the closet or in my face :confused:

Monitor them until they're carbed enough. Then take all except 2 and put 'em in the cold. Leave the 2 in an isolated box somewhere warm as a guinea pig. If after a long time they don't blow up, crack one open and see if there's a difference. If it's not spewing foam in your face, then I'd say you're safe.

I know of no other way to do this other than pasteurization.

Monitor them until they're carbed enough. Then take all except 2 and put 'em in the cold. Leave the 2 in an isolated box somewhere warm as a guinea pig. If after a long time they don't blow up, crack one open and see if there's a difference. If it's not spewing foam in your face, then I'd say you're safe.

I know of no other way to do this other than pasteurization.

Thanks for that. So you think I should still go with the 4oz of priming sugar?

Thanks for that. So you think I should still go with the 4oz of priming sugar?

After thinking about this, here's exactly what I would do. I would only bottle up a portion, and leave the rest in secondary. Like, 6 bottles or so. I'd put the 6 bottles somewhere safe to condition for 3 weeks, then try one. If they are okay, then I'd finish bottling the rest. It's not like the extra time sitting in your secondary will hurt anything, after all.

So - I would:
-mix 0.4oz priming sugar with 72oz of beer
-bottle 'er up
-wait 2 weeks, check 1
-wait another week, check again
-if all good, then bottle the rest.
-if gushing, take grav. reading from secondary again, reassess life and it's meaning.

paulster2626 said:
After thinking about this, here's exactly what I would do. I would only bottle up a portion, and leave the rest in secondary. Like, 6 bottles or so. I'd put the 6 bottles somewhere safe to condition for 3 weeks, then try one. If they are okay, then I'd finish bottling the rest. It's not like the extra time sitting in your secondary will hurt anything, after all.

So - I would:
-mix 0.4oz priming sugar with 72oz of beer
-bottle 'er up
-wait 2 weeks, check 1
-wait another week, check again
-if all good, then bottle the rest.
-if gushing, take grav. reading from secondary again, reassess life and it's meaning.

But if hes dry hopping that would push it to 5 weeks, I wouldn't go anymore than 2. Either rack the beer off the hops or remove the bag if you have them in one and do what he suggested about bottling a sixer.

I also like to use Coopers carb tablets, makes bottling a couple beers nice. I batch primed only once and my beer was overcarbed. I obviously used too much sugar, I'm just saying ive always used the tablets and have never had an overcarbed beer.

Kegged an AG batch of this Monday, pulled a pint last night and it's great. Needs to clear a little more, not sure if I am going to put gelatin on this one yet. The color seems lighter then the real thing but it's pretty close in flavor/aroma. I followed the hop schedule in Sam's "Xtreme Brewing" book. It calls for mixing all the hops together and continually hopping right from the beginning (instead of just warrior for the first 30). It also calls for a 1/2oz of Amarillo at flamout. Dryhopping was the same (1oz Amarillo, 1/2oz Sincoe). Really turned out well, and it's still young.

Back