Minimalist Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I was wondering...what is possible with just four ingredients? ONE malted grain, ONE malt extract, ONE hop variety and yeast, and water of course.

my first beer was a brown ale w/ amber lme, fuggles, dry nottingham yeast, and water. of course amber lme is base malt w/ some specialty grains.

Of course! Thats all you really need. At the bare minimum you'd need enough malt extract to cover the gravity you want, hops for bitterness, yeast for fermentation, and you'd only need specialty grains if you wanted a more in depth beer.

Sean

How about 7-8lbs light extract, 3oz cascade(split 1.5 boil, .75 flavor, .75 aroma), no extra grains, and a yeast of your choice. I love beer that showcases specific ingredients, especially cascade hops! Maybe keep some of those hops for dry-hopping. The aroma is devine.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but I didn't want to crowd up the forum. Where can I get 250L malted barley? Everything I see jumps from about 150L to 325L with nothing in between.

ericd said:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but I didn't want to crowd up the forum. Where can I get 250L malted barley? Everything I see jumps from about 150L to 325L with nothing in between.

Nothing in ProMash's malt database has anything around 250L. Why does it matter, though? I guess if you were interested in this 1-malt beer, it could be of concern...but beggars can't be choosers. If you're going the 1-malt route, you should concern yourself with something other than the color.

Evan! said:
Nothing in ProMash's malt database has anything around 250L. Why does it matter, though? I guess if you were interested in this 1-malt beer, it could be of concern...but beggars can't be choosers. If you're going the 1-malt route, you should concern yourself with something other than the color.

The scale afaik runs from about 1 to 500. I just wondered if there was something right smack dab in the middle.

Back