Autumn Seasonal Beer Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (AG and Extract versions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still unsure if it would be better to add to secondary, or at bottling, would the flavors have more time to blend if it was in the secondary for a week or 2 .

Or would it be just as good to add at bottling and the flavors will blend in the bottles

i am wondering this also. ordered up the ingredients tonight to do the extract version. also ordered a couple 2 gallon buckets so i can split the batch up and try a couple different things, just to experiment. im excited for this beer, plan to brew this weekend along with a falconers IPA, hope they turn out!

Mine came out ok. Next time I would have probably doubled the pumpkin... The flavor was there, but wasn't really prominent.

SO when converting the recipe to AG do you calculate the pumpkin into the overall weight of the grains to calculate the sparge and mash water?

If you want more of the pumpkin flavor you can add more of the spice during clearning and that should do the trick. My experience with the pumpkin is that it doesn't really contribute very much of that flavor and most of it comes from the spice.

First want to thank Yuri for the great recipe! Just brewed this up today and can't wait to drink this when it's ready in about a month. We used fresh pumpkin, approximately 75 oz's after we baked 1/2 of the pumpkin for about an hour @ 400 degrees F. Used 1/2 a lb of rice hulls in the mash along w/ the pumpkin and the fly sparge was quick. I was able to sparge in an hour, was worried it was going to take a couple but it went by fairly quick. Only thing we varied was the pumpkin spice. I used the pumpkin spice from the Austin Homebrew Pumpkin Ale recipe. it basically has the same ingredients along w/ orange peel. Double pitched the yeast so we'll see how fermentation is tomorrow.

Everything from baking the pumpkin, mash & boil smelled awesome. "Might" do the spice tea during clearing but not sure yet. Might just use our Randalizer with fresh spices whenever it's finally ready to drink. Used the Therminator & a pump for cooling & only got some sediment stuck during the last galon. Wasn't really an issue & we were able to cool & rack to the fermentor pretty quick.

Whelp, I brewed up a batch of this the other night, and I've got to say that I've had better brew days. I decided to go with pie pumpkins over the canned stuff, bought more than I thought I needed but ended up about a pound short after baking. Then, I mashed in too cold because I read the wrong darned number. I got the mash up to ~154 and shut off the burner. I usually get a few degree climb due to the burner mass but ended up at 162 degrees at the end of the hour (didn't check it during the mash) due to hot water under the false bottom. THEN, I checked the gravity at the beginning of the boil and was way low; I came up with around 50% mash efficiency instead of my typical 70%. I panicked a bit and added a pound of brown sugar to boost the pre-boil gravity, BeerSmith said that should get me closer to the desired SG. Well, I boiled it for an hour, hit my 5 gallons on the spot, and had a SG of 1.070! WTH? I ended up diluting the wort to 6.5 gallons to get where I needed to be and went back into BeerSmith. I thought about making it an imperial, but I wanted to drink it by Halloween. Turns out I hit my 70% so I'm not sure what the hell happened. Of course I'll probably be under-hopped now so I may have to adjust with spices.

Anyways, I pitched it on top of a Nottingham yeast cake and she's pretty much fermented out already. Time will tell how this batch turns out; at least there were plenty of lessons learned.

Houston we have fermentation...strong fermentation. Checked around 2am and it was barely bubbling. Checked about 45 min's ago after I got back from a morning ride and the airlock was foaming over! Made Cujo look normal. :D

Switched out the airlock and it's bubbling away. Looking good! Now begins the waiting game.

I'm brewing this in a few days. I asked SWMBO to pick up some Libby's Pure Pumpkin but she got the pie filling instead :rolleyes:. Does anyone know if this will ruin the recipe or will it substitute just fine? I still plan to add the fresh spices to secondary.

I'm brewing this in a few days. I asked SWMBO to pick up some Libby's Pure Pumpkin but she got the pie filling instead :rolleyes:. Does anyone know if this will ruin the recipe or will it substitute just fine? I still plan to add the fresh spices to secondary.
Not sure of the exact calculations you'll need to do, but pumpkin pie filling typically has added sugar and spices (and double check for preservatives, that will likely ruin the whole works).

You'll likely end up with a higher gravity and more spice flavoring if you use the pie filling along with all the prescribed ingredients in the recipe.

Hey Yuri... You keg yours, right? Do you add the spices then? Just curious about your "clearing stage" procedure.

READ THIS, TOO!

Notes current as of 26 Sep 2011

A few notes about spices and how to use them. I strongly prefer Pampered Chef Cinnamon Plus as the only spice addition. However, I wouldn't be too hesitant to use another brand of pumpkin pie spice or a mixture of any/all of the following: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, mace, orange peel, cloves, ginger. I prefer cinnamon and allspice as the primary flavors.

I use ground spices rather than whole sticks or seeds. The flavors develop almost instantly when dry, ground spices are added to hot liquid. A little goes a long way! I only use 1 tsp in a 5 gallon batch, and 1/2 Tbsp in 15 gallons (which is disproportionate on purpose - again, a little goes a long way).

I've added the spices at flameout, when racking for clearing (yeah, I mean "secondary" - I simply despise that term!), or even when kegging. The results are remarkably similar. The later in the process that you add the spices, the stronger and fresher/sharper the flavor. The spice flavor does fade over time, and the difference can be quite significant over a long period of aging.

If you want to make a spice tea, steep the spices for a few minutes in a cup of near boiling water, cool, and add the whole thing. Don't strain it.

If you want to add spices to taste, make the spice tea and add a little at a time, gently stirring with each addition. Sample via spigot, wine thief, turkey baster, siphon tube, etc.

I hope this clears up some of the PAGES of questions that follow!

Yuri_Rage said:
To everyone with questions on spices, read post #3 on the very first page. I just added it, and it should answer nearly all of your questions.

Awesome. Very succinct. Thank you.

I just finished brewing Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale with my electric HERMS and thought I'd offer some tips. This is my third time brewing this recipe but my first on an electric HERMS. Before, I was using a three-kettle, direct heat, and pump-fed system to brew this recipe and I suffered from stuck sparges and clogged pumps. Today's brew went off with out a hitch! Here's how...

I use an electric HERMS that's operated with two pumps and a HERMS coil in the HLT. I use a silicone tube inside my MLT (Sabco-style) for re-circ and I allow my mash to re-circ through the coil for entire mash. I wanted to accomplish this today without getting clogs and I did!

I added 1.25lb of rice hulls to the recipe and made sure to mix them well with the other grains and wheat. I mashed-in with the grains to hit the 158-deg mash temp. Then, I took my room temp Libby's pumpkin (which was already baked for 30-min at 350-deg) and placed it in a 1-gal paint strainer/bag and laid that flat across the top of the grain bed. My re-circ tubing was relatively close to the pumpkin/bag.

That's it! I mashed for 60-min with constant re-circ and then fly-sparged for about 45-minutes to collect my wort. The pumpkin color/flavor was extracted nicely, my efficiency was normal (75%), and the pumpkin stayed collected in the paint strainer. I hope this helps anyone who might be considering this recipe for their HERMS.

I ran into the issue w/ a clog in the pump during transfer but fortunately it was towards the end w/ 1 gallon left. We were able to clear it out & finish the transfer. Might try adding a 2nd pump or just try it again & hope for the best. It's been ferementing like crazy since last Thurs and we plan on racking to the secondary on Thurs if the airlock activity tappers down. It's looking great so far! Temp's holding at 68 degrees. Snapped some pic's from last week. It's not as dark as the fermenter pic depicts, it's cleared up some. Hopefully it clears up even more before we rack to the keg. Regardless I can't wait to try this out.

http://www.chrisgomezphoto.com/austin/h24a829bd#h24a829bd

Kegged mine last night after four weeks in the primary. Sampled it (before adding the spices) and tasted great! Added 1 tsp of the pumpkin pie spice "tea" to 5 gallons as instructed. Put the keg in the keezer at 38d at 12psi. I always make a 16 oz sample bottle (racked from primary separately) with a carbonation cap. So, added an additional small spice tea to that too, carbed it and gonna sample that tonight! Can't wait!

I brewed a recipe based on Thunderstruck last week. Did a 3-gal batch and added spices in the boil. The ferment was super fast (small batch, overpitched), and a fermenter sample tasted amazing. Plenty of spice character (used more than recipe suggests), but I may have to add more later.

Brewed 9/25/11
4.25 gal pre-boil, 3 gallon post, 60 min
Mash: Single infusion @ 153, batch sparge
O.G. 1.063. Pre-boil gravity: 1.052.
Fermentation temp: ~68ºF

Grain Bill
5.6 lbs orgainc 2-row
1 lb orgranic Crystal 60
1 lb organic Victory
.35 lbs organic Flaked wheat
1/4 lb Rice hulls

Yeast
WLP 002 English Ale

Hops
.25 oz Warrior 15% AA (60 min)

Others
45 oz canned organic pumpkin (in mash)
1 tsp cinnamon (10 min)
.5 tsp ground ginger (10 min)
.5 tsp nutmeg (10 min)
.5 tsp allspice (10 min)

Can someone scale the AG batch back to 10gal for me? I did it beer smith but it doesnt look right.... THANKS!!

Distracted by my poorly performing Phillies tonight, I just dumped the spice into the secondary instead of steeping. Any thoughts on the results?

I just racked this batch to secondary tonight and there wasn't as much trub as I suspected there would be. I cut my fresh pumpkin in 1-2" cubes and stuck the 60oz. in a grain back. They stayed together for the most part during the boil. I was expecting 6-10" of trub but instead there was the usual 2-3" of trub. Looking forward to bottling this batch in a week and testing it out.

P.S. It smelled wonderful as I racked it.

Just racked ours to the secondary this week. Had it in the fermenter for 10 days because there was a lot of activity in the airlock for the entire time leading up until the last day. It tasted incredible. I can't wait to drink this. Going to rack to the keg in a couple of days.

I would imagine that making a tea w/ rum would be just fine. You probably won't taste any of the rum. As for adding the spice w/o making the tea that should be just fine to. Probably won't have as much of the spice flavor come through so you always have the option of making a spiced tea for when you keg or bottle. Just taste it prior to bottling or kegging. I may do the same depending on the taste.

I just racked this batch to secondary tonight and there wasn't as much trub as I suspected there would be. I cut my fresh pumpkin in 1-2" cubes and stuck the 60oz. in a grain back. They stayed together for the most part during the boil. I was expecting 6-10" of trub but instead there was the usual 2-3" of trub. Looking forward to bottling this batch in a week and testing it out.

P.S. It smelled wonderful as I racked it.

this is what we did too, very little trub. we baked our pumpkin first. boiled for 60 minutes. im wondering if this will be enough for the pumpkin to come through in the beer? what do you think?

I brewed up a batch of this in August - it's on the gas and ready for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. We have a big turkey party every year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and I wanted to do something special this year.

I just followed the directions for the 5 gallon all-grain batch at the beginning of this (very long) thread. Roasted the pumpkin, mashed it with the grains. No problems of stuck sparge and very little trub. There was a definite pumpkin/roasty flavour in the wort and the colour was gorgeous. I did what the recipe suggested and used pumpkin pie spice in a 'tea' into the secondary. It sat there for about 6 weeks until I kegged it last weekend.

Gorgeous colour, and the pumpkin spice flavour is perfect. This is definitely in the 'holy **** I can't believe I brewed this' category and might be the best beer I've ever brewed. It's so good I don't really want to share it with my guests this weekend!

IMG-20111004-00688.jpg

PS, it's not as dark as it looks - this picture was taken in low light.

Couple of questions.. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of this and wondered:

Is it ok to bake the pumpkin on the cookie sheet the night before and cover it with foil till the next morning? Any problems with that?

How thick/thin do you spread out the canned pumpkin on the sheet?

Thanks!

this is what we did too, very little trub. we baked our pumpkin first. boiled for 60 minutes. im wondering if this will be enough for the pumpkin to come through in the beer? what do you think?

As I was baking the pumpkin in the oven I was expecting a wonderful pumpkin smell but I was disappointed. Not much smell at all....that is until I added the pumpkin spice at the 5 min left in boil mark.

The trub cake looks like bread dough. I BIABed the pumpkin in the mash, and it still left a huge slime pile. :eek:

Couple of questions.. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of this and wondered:

Is it ok to bake the pumpkin on the cookie sheet the night before and cover it with foil till the next morning? Any problems with that?

How thick/thin do you spread out the canned pumpkin on the sheet?

Thanks!
Should be no problems with keeping the pumpkin overnight.

I bake mine in a 9x13, heaped rather high, but that's because I use A LOT of pumpkin in 15 gallons. You may get better results by spreading the pumpkin somewhat thin (more caramelization).

Hey Yuri,

If you have a minute, can you respond to my question that got lost among the multiple new posts/updates. I accidentally dumped the spice straight into the secondary instead of steeping it. Any guesses about the results of that error, or advice for how to fix? Thanks.

Taste it. If it tastes good, you made no error. If it isn't spiced enough, make the suggested tea and add some. I don't know how much - you be the judge.

I am waiting my way through the slow sparge right now. I added one pound of rice hulls to a five gallon batch in a five gallon mash tun. I also upped the pumpkin by one can. Probably not the best decision I've made but I want pumpkin dangit.

Yuri_Rage said:
Your mash tun is not very well equipped to handle a brew this size. Be patient - you'll get through it!

This I know. I have plenty of distractions to get me through it.

Edit: finally dumped it off to my hlt, removed the braid, and transferred it back. It's slow, but moving again.

I got through it. It was a train wreck of a brew session. Finished with low volume and high gravity. I didn't take a preboil gravity because I was still running off when I started boiling. It looked like high efficiency and incomplete sparge. I made up my missing volume with water to get an OG of 1.054

Back