First brew with the new Coopers kit is in the bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsc3

Reaction score
Australian Lager is the first test. I waited ten days in the fermenter to bottle. Most of the bubbling stopped after day five. SG at 1010 upon finishing. So far so good but I have a question or two to run by the group. While bottling the beer had a odor like cider. Not a sour odor but more of a bread odor with a sweet cider. Just a concern I don't think it is skunked! Also, when I got to the bottom of the fermenter there was a thick layer of white sediment. Think I needed to stir it a bit more!! Comments please. BTW, this forum is a godsend!

Just used what they sent in the kit. Am I in any danger of this turning out really bad??

Nice, I like cooper's first one I did was a stout (not long ago).

I actually just did a Cooper's Australin pale ale a few hours ago, with a little extra. I first steeped 2 lbs of pale 2-row, 1/4 of Biscuit, 1/4 of honey malt, and a lb. of Wheat dried malt extract. With an additional oz. of cascade hops half for bittering 60 min and the other last 5 min. Have to see how it turns out with the honey malt.

Did you use table sugar or DME? 2 lbs of sugar will give it a bit of a ciderness to it happens with a lot of sugar additions.

The sediment consists of Yeast (white layer) and underneath trub (darker). The trub is dead yeast and their byproducts. This is natural and you don't want that necessarily to be in your beer (unless a hefe beer or belgian.. whatnot). What a lot of people do to save time, money, is to conserve that layer of yeast at the bottom.

When you rack or bottle your beer if you move your primary first let it sit for atleast 15min so that the sediment settles. Siphon just till you get to the "cake" then stop. Pour the remaining layer's of yeast and trub (just yeast if you know your game) in aa sanitized jar fridge, label and you got yourself some good free yeasties! Some people don't save cooper's yeast but I do sometimes. Good strong fast fermenting yeast, with vigorous fermentation usually done in 4-5 days.

Good luck!

Oh another thing that is a lager beer, do you actually ferment with that yeast type at a lower temperature and all other lagering procedures? Might be better to start with ales during the summer. Cheers!

That's sounds tasty! For my first brew I stuck to the basics. The DME was what they included in the kit, it was a lot of DME.
My basement is cool even in the summer, temps below 70 degrees thanks to central air, a fan and a dehumidifier. I want to try a belgian lager next (Stella Artois clone). All said I am waiting for four weeks from mixing to drinking so I am pretty psyched before trying the Aussie Lager. Cant wait! This going to be a fun hobby!!

Hell ya dude!! It just get's better as you go!

Just remember lager and ales are two totally different beasts, I haven't even tempted a lager yet.

Cooper's usually gives the OS lager can in the kits (as I got too) with either brewing sugar,or brew enhancer1. It comes with the gold,7g ale yeast sachet. No lagering,etc here at all.
If it's the "heritage lager",then the yeast is a mix of ale & lager yeasts. It must be brewed at around 13C (55F).
The brewing sugar & brew enhancers are 1kg boxes,which equals 2.2lbs. Just fine for 23L (6.072G) batches,which cooper's kits are. Not 5G. But the flavor the op is referring to is from 1) Not allowing another week for the brew to clean up after itself,& the yeast to settle out more. 2) Bottling the beer before this "clean up" happens,resulting in the need for more aging. It may not even disappear entirely.
It sounds like initial ferment temps were high,& not allowing the yeast clean up time compounded it. From now on,patience! Time really does heal all wounds,especially in brewing.

time really does heal all wounds,especially in brewing.

When someone tells you to relax and have a home brew, they ain't kidding! The yiesty, cidery no head retaining and oily mouth feeling mess turned into quite a nice beer! Not too bad for a first try! What's next?

Back