If he can do it, why cant we?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if you can grow your own hops and grain, you may be on to something! :tank:

kind of sucks getting all this attention. Now someone who has nothing better to do with their time is going to read that and want them shut down for some reason. Theres always someone who ruins it for everyone else.

Actually, I got all the details to running a brewery on my land if I want. As long as it doesn't cover more than 1/4 of your total acreage, and a class III liquor license, city health approval....etc etc. So yes, it can be done, but like I said, someone isnt going to like it, and will start raising a stink about it.

Yeah, it took a special exception from the GA. Given that he had already been selling his stuff to the ABC stores, you can be certain that he already met all the crazy beaurocratic qualifications (all of which require substantial financial investment for infrastructure upgrades), prior to any of this. Few if any homebrewers meet these standards to begin with. Yes, it's possible, but not without spending assloads of money just to please the government busybodies. Licensing fees alone are nothing short of extortion.

I must say, though: it IS pretty cool that someone other than the crooked ABC is selling distilled spirits in this godforsaken "commonwealth". Those dirtbags hold on to their evil booze monopoly like nothing I've ever seen...it's satisfying to see someone stick it to them. And I'm what, 30 minutes from this guy? I'll be driving past Culpeper tomorrow on my way to Thanksgiving...might have to pay him a visit.

Evan! said:
And I'm what, 30 minutes from this guy? I'll be driving past Culpeper tomorrow on my way to Thanksgiving...might have to pay him a visit.

I'll be driving by as well, too bad I refuse to drink that stuff! (bad combo of whiskey and Taco Bell back in college, it wasn't pretty.)

Yeah, I can't handle corn liquor myself. Roomy in college came back from WV with an unmarked mason jar full of corn liquor...that junk ruined me, especially when it was the only thing in the liquor cabinet and I was too lazy to go to the ABC. I love me some Bourbon, though...my namesake is what I drink.

Selling liquor would be way above what I want my government to legalize. Make having a potstill in your basement for the occasial batch of whiskey legal please!

I will never understand how you can take a legal substance, and turn it in to another legal substance (via distillation) and the process in which you do this is illegal.

Bottom line, make enough for yourself and friends, dont sell any, and dont worry about the licenseing exstortion plot (and I believe this as well)

gonzoflick said:
Selling liquor would be way above what I want my government to legalize. Make having a potstill in your basement for the occasial batch of whiskey legal please!

I will never understand how you can take a legal substance, and turn it in to another legal substance (via distillation) and the process in which you do this is illegal.

Bottom line, make enough for yourself and friends, dont sell any, and dont worry about the licenseing exstortion plot (and I believe this as well)
Nothing's illegal until you don't pay the taxes.

I remember reading that Texas has a law that you have to pay taxes on the drugs you sell...so when they bust you they also charge you for not paying your taxes...yeah, the y also bust you when you go for the license...ironic, huh?

Just a guess, but I think LAWYERS may be the first to go if there's another revolution...:D

Best part of the whole story....

"We had people lined up Saturday," Miller says. "There were two men at the beginning of the line and I didn't know how I was going to handle the situation. Then one guy's dog got loose and started running around and while he was trying to catch it the other fellow bought the first bottle."

I love that part. Only in America folks. :rockin:

Ize

homebrewer_99 said:
Nothing's illegal until you don't pay the taxes.

I remember reading that Texas has a law that you have to pay taxes on the drugs you sell...so when they bust you they also charge you for not paying your taxes...yeah, the y also bust you when you go for the license...ironic, huh?

Just a guess, but I think LAWYERS may be the first to go if there's another revolution...:D

My friend, this isn't simply texas law.

Not on the topic of selling spirits or brew, but...

Read the Marihuana Tax Act as passed in 1937
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/taxact/mjtaxact.htm

An excerpt from wiki article on above,
"In 1969 in Timothy Leary v. US, this act was found to be unconstitutional since it violated the Fifth Amendment, since a person seeking the tax stamp would have to incriminate him/herself.[1] In response the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 was passed."

If you can't stop it, tax the sh*t out of it.

Back