Saving yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Reaction score
I was reading this piece about saving the yeast to be re-used, and i have a query...

If i've got any of this wrong, don't hesitate to correct me! :)

So you get all the gunk at the bottom of the carboy (containing dead yeast and some live yeast still), and put it in a bottle or other airtight container, and then whack it in the fridge. What happens then, how do you sort it out so you have some nice new yeast cells instead of some leftovers from what once was? Surely i don't just add the old trub to my new wort?

Apologies if this is a painfully daft question ;)

Well, first off, I don't think I'd "whack it" in the fridge. You might end up making a mess.

Second, here's what to do: add sanitized water to the trub. Swirl around. After it settles in the fridge for a day or so, you should see three distinct layers: a clearish layer on top that looks like beer, a whitish opaque layer beneath that, and a darker opaque layer on the bottom. The whitish layer is the yeast. Pour off the liquid on top and discard. Then pour the whitish layer into a sanitized jar/vial/bottle, seal that up, and put it in the fridge (That's the yeast!), leaving the bottom layer in the original jar. Discard that too.

Oli said:
So you get all the gunk at the bottom of the carboy (containing dead yeast and some live yeast still), and put it in a bottle or other airtight container, and then whack it in the fridge. What happens then, how do you sort it out so you have some nice new yeast cells instead of some leftovers from what once was? Surely i don't just add the old trub to my new wort?

This process sparks many many questions, so no need to apologize. there are a couple of links below from the forum here (and more, I'm sure) that will help to clarify. I'm new at harvesting yeast myself, so I'll refer you to the links from more experienced.
From reading here though, I do know that some homebrewers just save the trub as is and refrigerate, then pitch it in the next batch. Others argue that this will produce off flavors.
However, more work is required if you want to "wash" yeast to remove the hops, etc. You didn't mention anything about sanitation above, so I'll remind you to make sure that whatever container you put the old yeast into is sanitized.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11755&highlight=washing+yeast
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9530&highlight=reusing+yeast
and I'm sure you'll have more questions, even after reading all of this. So, first, do a search for "washing yeast, harvesting yeast, reusing yeast", etc. If that doesn't work, feel free to ask.
Good luck! :mug:

Curious, read a lot that says to pour of yeast that's in suspension. But if you try and pour off the water while all the "stuff" is still spinning around within the water, you'll get trub and yeast. How long will a typical ale yeast last in storage under these conditions? Surely longer than a month?? I am assuming that if you want, you could just actually store the whole thing, trub/brew water/yeast, in the refrigerator. Does it have to be stored in water? Or is the object to make the yeast as dry as possible???

Your directions are kinda screwy.

Add about 1/2 gal of sanitized water (boiled and cooled) to your primary. Swirl it around with the trub to loosen it from the bottom.

Pour the contents into a sanitized gal jug and let it sit for about 10 mins.

The trub, yeast, hops, dead proteins, etc., will mostly drop out - THEN pour the yeasty water into another container and repeat the process. Toss out the trub.

After repeating this process about 3-4 times you'll be left with mostly yeast.

Place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning you can pour off most of the liquid and re-swirl the remaining into smaller containers. I use baby food jars.:D

Oli said:
So you get all the gunk at the bottom of the carboy (containing dead yeast and some live yeast still), and put it in a bottle or other airtight container, and then whack it in the fridge.

Apologies if this is a painfully daft question ;)
I love British slang. :)

I'd be careful what you do to your yeast when you place it in an airtight container.
If the pressure created by your yeast (if you don't vent it) exceedes the pressure rating of your vessel, you'll get a nasty surprise. A bottle bomb.

I place my yeast in a container, sanitized of course, and place a airlock on it to vent any co2 that builds up. Then in the fridge it goes.

Back