hoppy hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaryrye

Reaction score
So i brewed my first all grain today and since I have been curious how a hoppy hefeweizen would taste with more aroma hops (had some wlp300 handy), that is what I brewed:

11 gal recipe:
10 Lbs 2row pale malt
10 Lbs wheat malt
2 Oz Hallertau 60min
4 Oz Hallertau flameout

I split the batch in two fermenters, one got the hefeweizen and the other got safale so-5. Ill let you know how it turns out. Oh and they will be fermented at ~62* in a controlled chest freezer.

I've never tried it. Everything I've ever heard is that hop flavor and aroma do not jive well with Hefeweizen esters.

That flameout addition looks like quite a bit of hops. That's enough to brew at least a couple more batches of properly hopped hefeweizen! I also agree with Edcculus, traditionally, there probably aren't any late hop additions in hefeweizens for a reason.

bottled it today, and it tasted excellent. The hops are present, but mild, and the esters from the lower fermentation temps work well in conjuntion. I liked it better than the beer made from the same wort but fermented with S-05 if that says anything.

Hey, why not? You may end up liking it better than a more traditional hefe and in the end, all that really matters is if you like it.

Let us know how it turns out.

I've never tried it. Everything I've ever heard is that hop flavor and aroma do not jive well with Hefeweizen esters.

There is a local WI beer that is a lot like a cross between a hefe and an APA.....it is late and dry hopped with Amarillo and who know what else, but wheaty and fermented with a "proprietary" hefe strain that creates esters strikingly similar to WLP380....the clovier of the two between 300 and 380. It's one of the only commercial beers I actually keep on hand.

I would love to hear how this turns out. I have been looking for a Hoppy Amber Wheat recipe. There doesnt seem to be a lot of those around.....

Well, I bottled it last week and the sucker carbed up in like two days :) Started drinking it after day 5 and Its pretty good. The hops are there, but not overwhelming. The esters still dominate the brew but its like the hops mellow them out a bit. To ferment, I used WLP300 at 62* for like 2 weeks, then bottled. Was trying to get that clove flavor to come out, but there is definitely still some bananas at that temp. Its sister brew (same wort, but s-05 instead) was preferred among my friends who drink mostly macro brew, but I like them both.

Anyway, i would call this experiment a success and it tastes better to me than the "traditional" hefeweizen I made last time, so I will be tinkering with the late hops and IBU's. Next time, I think Im going to move a little aroma hop to the 60 minute addition to increase IBU slightly. This was already at the top edge of the scale ... To hell with style guidelines :)

If you like a hoppy wheat, Schneider Weiss did a beer in combination with the Brooklyn Brewery, the Hopfen Weiss. I had one and enjoyed it. It is not your typical weiss beer, but a nice change.

I am brewing my wheats at a more traditional IBU range using 1.5 oz for the boil and half an oz at 15 on a ten gallon batch.

I had to go 10 gallons, the stuff dissapears so fast regardless of how you make it!

Two days?! You might want to throw the rest in a cooler in case that's foreshadowing an explosion of beer flavor...all over your carpet.

its kinda hot here right now so it speeds things up a bit. And when i said carbonated, it wasnt fully there but good enough. No explosions yet, just good beer.

its kinda hot here right now so it speeds things up a bit. And when i said carbonated, it wasnt fully there but good enough. No explosions yet, just good beer.

I've noticed that beers bottled young will carb up fast as hell, while beers that get secondaried and sit around for a while can take ages to fully carb. This is pretty self-evident I guess, but a wheat beer should have lots of yeast flaoting around to eat the priming sugar.....I drink beers that have been bottled for only a few days often - especially since I have been brewing almost exclusively sessionable, quick turn around beers.

so i brought some to a local homebrew club meeting last night to try, and everyone thought it was great. The judge who was there tried it and suggested that it could be even a little more bitter and to use a little acid malt to make it more crisp, so thats what I will do next time.

I accidentally overhopped a hefeweizen last year and it turned out ok.

Since I like brewing more often, I do three gallon batches... but I forgot to divide approximately by two when doing my hop additions. Anyway, there was clearly more hop aroma than is appropriate for the style but it wasn't bad per se. The hop flavor/aroma just got in the way of the nice esters that we work to achieve in hefeweizens.

Have you had Hop Sun? (Southern Tier brewery in NY)

It tastes (to me) like what you were going for with this recipe.

Back