Brew a Shandy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aclay

Reaction score
Ok fellow brewers here's a stumper for me. Shandy is a very light dead of summer lemon beer. I'm thinking about trying to do a shandy for SWMBO. I'm guessing that it would have to be lagered. I have no idea where to even start with this. What hops would go with lemon? I'm guessing if I did it with an ale yeast it would give it a completely different flavor. What are you're guesses at this one crew?

I could be wrong on this but isn't shandy a beer/lemonade blend? Making it something to be mixed together and not brewed.

I'm not sure...perhaps it is, but I've got no clue. Either way...lemon beer sounds fairly tasty in the summer.

Shandy is just 50% beer, 50% lemonade. Just brew up a very light beer and cut with lemonade when serving.

Greg

how about this?

Strip and Go Naked
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
6 packages Beer
12 oz Lemonade concentrate
12 oz Vodka
Mixing instructions:
In a LARGE pitcher, pour in 3 cans of beer, then the vodka and lemonade, then the last 3 beers. Mix gently and pour into a tall glass over ice.

I would brew up something on the lighter side, maybe even a wheat, use all cascade hops, and throw in some lemon zest in the secondary. That should give you a lemony brew, that you could still cut with lemonade if you choose.

Ferdiz's recipe is both tasty and potent. The pink lemonade variant popular around here is known as Pink Panties. A dangerous mix. :cross:

Pink Pantie Droppers!!! bunch of beer, pink lemonade con, and vodka. wow what a hangover that was

My local brewery uses their pale and lemonade. Their pale is on the heavier end of hoppyness with cascades, but tastes pretty good.

When I was living in England 30 years ago many a Shandy was puled with half lemonade and half lager.

I stuck with the milds and bitters that I am now am striving to repeat.

As I think has been relayed, save the shandy for mixing... It will be tough to brew anything that tastes close to a shandy. A shandy is pretty sweet - anything sweet you put into a brew is going to ferment out for the most part...

Lemon zest, etc. is an idea (and could produce a nice american wheat or something...) but it won't give you the same effect as mixing sweet, sweet lemonade into a light lager at 50/50 ratio...

The two would be totally different, in fact.

Shandy in the UK can be either lager or bitter based. It usually 1/3 to 1/2 half British "lemonade" which is Sprite or its equivalent in the US, and the rest is the beer of choice. If you want an ale based shandy, brew a Bitter and mix Sprite to your taste after the beer is ready to serve.

Back