My Sculpture was not created equal!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like you have done I used the Solar flux when tig welding parts onto kegs, did you back weld the inside of the couplings and buff it smooth?, or just the outside.
I only welded the outside, just tried to get enough penetration so the inside would be some what smooth. I am too big to be able to reach inside to weld and see what I am doing.:mug:

Started plumbing the gas line today. Just a basic manifold. I will run a low pressure regulator for the pilot lights, and a high pressure regulator for the supply to the burners.
IMAG0089-1.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0090.jpg
[/IMG]
At some point I will go to intermittent pilot controls but for now this will do.

And now....my reward for a day well done...
IMAG0086.jpg
[/IMG]

Started running the Gas manifold. The asco valve will control the burners, and the low pressure regulator will feed the pilot lights. Still need some parts but i'm getting close.
IMAG0091-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm getting close. The plumbing is 95% complete. I just need to buy a filter for the water supply, and run the tubing to connect the chiller in the BK. I ordered all the switches and lights to run the pumps and burners.

Here is a pic of the current state.
IMAG0105.jpg
[/IMG]

I need to get the SS sheet to build the covers.

Looks awesome. I have a RIMS 2 Vessel single tier. I just bought my material from Escondido metal supply to build another 2 stands (one for a buddy just getting into AG and 1 for me). I'm moving to a 3 vessel system. Its sort of a hybrid system, electric RIMS tube and gas for the boil. Anyhow, stand looks great and keep up the good work.

Also, any chance you can PM me the Peat smoked Earl Grey Porter recipe? Looks interesting. Plus I'm a huge fan of smoked porters

Looks awesome. I have a RIMS 2 Vessel single tier. I just bought my material from Escondido metal supply to build another 2 stands (one for a buddy just getting into AG and 1 for me). I'm moving to a 3 vessel system. Its sort of a hybrid system, electric RIMS tube and gas for the boil. Anyhow, stand looks great and keep up the good work.

Also, any chance you can PM me the Peat smoked Earl Grey Porter recipe? Looks interesting. Plus I'm a huge fan of smoked porters

I was just at Escondido Metal today. Picked up a sheet of aluminum for this build.
I may also use a rims tube. This is one I made for my build.
IMAG0102.jpg
[/IMG]

I will send you the recipe. I need to find it. Give me a day or so.

Very cool. Dig the RIMS tube you made, since I went RIMS the overall quality of my beers really improved, from clarity, effeciency, etc.. . No rush on the recipe.

Today I worked on the top cover to my brutus.
IMAG0107.jpg
[/IMG]

I really like the stainless water/wort plumbing on your stand, and would like to do something similar on my 3-vessel single tier. Would you happen to have a diagram showing all your valve placements and the different liquid paths you would utilize on a typical brew day? How about pics showing more detail of the pumps and plumbing on the front of the stand? I have been trying to figure out how to make a fully functional hard plumbing arrangement without using a ridiculous number of valves, and you seem to have done well in that respect.

Hey Mikelikesit200, I just saw that someone purchased a RIMS tube from you. I might be looking to upgraded mine, and I also have a friend that will be needing one sometime soon. What are you selling these for?

Today I came home to porch full of boxes. I received a shipment from Mcmaster Carr. I got my H2O filter, some polycarbonite tube for the sight glasses, and a piano hinge for my false bottoms.

I got to work on fabbing a bracket for the filter. I welded it to the stand, then started the plumbing.

I plan on using one hose connection for the brewery. This will feed the filter for brewing water, and the chiller (notice tee before filter).
IMAG0111.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0108.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0114.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0115.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut and mounted sight glasses. This stuff is rated for 200*. I think it will be fine. But I will test a piece in boiling water to see how it does. I am also going to weld heat shields under the sight glass fittings.
IMAG0116.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0117.jpg
[/IMG]

Coldies said:
Hey Mikelikesit200, I just saw that someone purchased a RIMS tube from you. I might be looking to upgraded mine, and I also have a friend that will be needing one sometime soon. What are you selling these for?

One of them went to me and it's awesome. Got the PID and SSR installed in the new panel with the new LED switches. Check my sig for pics. Thanks again Mike. My rig can't come close to yours. Looks great. When's the inaugural brew gonna happen?

One of them went to me and it's awesome. Got the PID and SSR installed in the new panel with the new LED switches. Check my sig for pics. Thanks again Mike. My rig can't come close to yours. Looks great. When's the inaugural brew gonna happen?

I am still waiting on the electronics from over the big pond. I am trying to get to a point where I can brew on it being only 97% done. I am thinking a couple weeks.

That's funny, because I am going to name the first batch "Inaugural IPA".

I received my electronics in the mail today. I still need to build the enclosure that will house all of the switches and temp controls. I will need to find a local sheet metal shop to make the bends on the sheet metal. I am so close, I can smell it.

So yesterday I ran some water through the brewery. Just a couple issues;
The first one was the pump that sits between the HLT and the MT was stuck. So I unbolted it and that took the strain from the piping off of it. I will shim it and it should be fine.
The second problem was I had missed tightening the nut on the MT drain. A little bit of water on the floor. Glad it wasn't wort!
Everything worked well. I am going to make a couple tubes that are bent in a different way for the fill piping to the HLT and BK. I want a better whirlpool.

So now I just need to cut out the false bottoms and weld a hinge to them. And get the front panel made to mount and wire the controls.

Have you had any problems with metal male connectors on your water filter housing? I'm installing my inline filter on Friday and I would have to use nylon hose barbs, but would rather go with stainless/brass if I could still get a good seal.

Have you had any problems with metal male connectors on your water filter housing? I'm installing my inline filter on Friday and I would have to use nylon hose barbs, but would rather go with stainless/brass if I could still get a good seal.

No problems. Just be careful that you don't over tighten the fittings.

Wow this looks both amazing and very daunting, but it looks like you and your son are having a fun time with the build. Very nice.

Brain, hands, vision. You must be very proud of it.
And this will also make beer! :D

Congrats!

g_m

Thanks for the compliments guys. It is a bit daunting at this point. Only because I want it to be done. I really want to brew!

How do yo change the water filter? It looks like when you thread the housing off, you don't have enough room to drop the housing and clear the filter... maybe it is just a camera angle thing though...

It clears. There's about an inch of space under the filter.

Are you running any hot water (over 100f) through the filter? If so what filter is it? I am setting up a filter in my basement for brewing and it is rated for only 100f.

Are you running any hot water (over 100f) through the filter? If so what filter is it? I am setting up a filter in my basement for brewing and it is rated for only 100f.

I will run ground temp water through the filter to the HLT. I am thinking about using a rims setup to preheat the water before it gets to the vessel but after the filter.

After I cut the circle out I cut and fit a stainless steel piano hinge to the backside of the false bottom. I spot welded/fused them together.
IMAG0161.jpg
[/IMG]

Next is to cut a hole in the false bottom to fit a 90 for the drain. This hole is offset on purpose to allow the false bottom to still fold enough to get it in and out of the MT.
IMAG0162.jpg
[/IMG]
IMAG0163.jpg
[/IMG]

Back