Anyone try a pony keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a keggle out of a pony sanke keg that has been laying aruound for about 5 years? Will it do a 6.5 gallon boil?

it would probably work, getting to a boil may be slower because there is less surface area at the fire, and you'd have to watch for boil overs since pony kegs are around 7 gallons. It would be better as a HLT than a BK

Are they smaller? side to side with the big keg, they seem about the same, just half the height. We do not buy kegs in sanke for drinking, our local micro brew uses different style, but same fitting. so cant use it for deposit. Thinking, just make a kettle out of it. We work on cheap around here. I made the mistake of pushing the ball down tonight, it is still compressed, and 5 or more year old busch light sprayed me.

I was going to cut the pony, and got a free turkey fryer. I did a couple water boils in it to condition it. Then brewed a batch in the aluminum turkey fryer pot. We will see how it comes out. My brewing partner sourced another 15.5 keg, so we are going to make the pony a HLT and Ill keep the other keg here.

Thats what I thought. We still havnt cut the keg, and still havnt recieved the other 15.5. We are planning to cut the pony, and at least use it for a HLT. I will evaluate weither or not the aluminum turkey fryer pot makes good beer once I try some beer from it. The beer is currently on the tail end of primary, about 5 days in, and settling down. I will take a gravity and sample before putting it to secondary in 2 days. By all senses, it seems to be good beer but havnt tasted it yet. Had wicked fermentation, and color is right, smells good, so I guess ill have to wait till sunday to taste it (warm and flat) but should know somewhat how its going to turn out. If turkey pot sucks, I might use pony more often after we cut it.

I've thought of using a pony keg for fermenting five gallon batches. But for boiling even a five gallon batch you'll have to be watchful for boilovers. Plus it's the same amount of work to cut a 15 gallon keg.

Well verdict is in. My brewing partner, D-boss, and I will be cutting the pony tomarow and adding a weldless bulkhead, for use as a HLT for now. I may in fact borrow it from time to time to boil a 5 gallon batch. Since I only make 5 gallon batches, and have that, and a non valved aluminum turkey fryer pot for choices, or 16 gallon keg, which tomarrow will also be valved. Honestly the aluminum 8gal pot heats faster, and cools quicker, and have had no problems with scorching. Only thing is alum is a no no for some people, and I havnt tried the batch yet I made in it. We from time to time, do double batches, we are finally getting enough Mash tun coolers, and boil kettles, burners, and hlt's together to do this in a fair amount of time. Last time was 9 hours for 2 seperate 5 gallon batches. But we also brew independant of each other at our own houses, as finances dont always make brew day fall on same week. I would not imagine boil over potential any worse than the alum pot. My boil had leaf hops, so it wasnt to violent, and had no issues, didnt even come close to boil over, with 3 inches from top.
After 1 hour boil, level was low enough for chiller, and cooled FAST.

Edit, Just tried my batch from aluminum pot, tastes wonderful, im racking to secondary tomarow, but will end up a good beer I promise.

Back