Lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdsmith72

Reaction score
Wow, I've read all kinds of posts and stories about long lag times with White Labs liquid yeast if you didn't make a starter.
I brewed a Franziskaner Hefe Weisse last night and pitched White Labs WLP300 Hefe Weissen yeast without making a starter. Just warmed it to room temperature and shook the beJesus out of the vial and poured it in.... 8 hours later it's bubbling like CRAZY!!! I've already had to add more water to the air lock because it blew most of what was in there out. :D

Great news! Now quickly, put that sucker somewhere cool so you don't end up with banana juice. :D

The cool part is, all Wheat and Hefe yeasts can be pitched from the tubes, without making a starter, and you will almost always get a good ferment within 6-8 hours. Its just an explosive stye of yeast.

Imagine if you did make a starter :D

El Pistolero said:
Great news! Now quickly, put that sucker somewhere cool so you don't end up with banana juice. :D

FYI, the banana taste doesn't really mellow with time. My Hef has been in bottles for 5 months, still tastes like I added a fifth of 99 bananas at bottling time!:ban:

Think drinking a hefeweizen while chewing a piece of juicy fruit.

hahaha! Well, this is the first time I've tried a Hefe so I hope it turns out well.
I can't believe how that yeast took off though. I was expecting to have to wait a couple of days before I saw any activity. The Airlock is a couple of hours from needing more water again! :mug:

StudentBrewer said:
FYI, the banana taste doesn't really mellow with time.
Sometimes it does...I had a dunkeweisen that started off with just an overpowering banana aroma. I really thought about dumping it, but after 2 1/2 months or so the flavor suddenly mellowed. I had one today 4 1/2 months since bottling, and there's still some banana, but overall it's nice...very close to the Franzi Dunkel I was shooting for.

El Pistolero said:
Sometimes it does...I had a dunkeweisen that started off with just an overpowering banana aroma. I really thought about dumping it, but after 2 1/2 months or so the flavor suddenly mellowed. I had one today 4 1/2 months since bottling, and there's still some banana, but overall it's nice...very close to the Franzi Dunkel I was shooting for.

Guess I'll have to go crack one now. I guess it has been a month or so since I had one. Either way it's still beer, and I do like bananas!

Back