Fruit Beer Watermelon Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:off:

I primary until fermentation is complete, perhaps 2 weeks, then cold crash. I thoroughly wash 10 lbs of field-fresh strawberries from a roadside patch and give them a one minute soak in starsan before hulling the berries and slicing them up with a sanitized knife on a sanitized cutting board. Then the fruit goes into a sanitized container and is frozen solid overnight. I then thaw the fruit in the fridge for 48 hours. I pour the now-macerated fruit and juices into the secondary bucket and rack the cold beer on top. Age for 10 days under refrigeration, rack to keg and force carb. The beer smells like freshly picked strawberries crushed in your hands, yet it still tastes like a good wheat beer first with an oh-so delicate strawberry taste. It takes on the lightest shade of rose-yellow. It's a great summertime beer.

I've been paying attention to this thread closely, as I've gotten a request from my wife to brew a watermelon beer. This seems like a great recipe with some positive feedback. I read earlier that someone contemplated foregoing secondary, and just added the watermelon juice to the primary. I'm not sure if this was done or not. Has anyone tried this?

Sorry to bump this old thread but after reading through each yesterday I immediately ran to my LHBS and grabbed the ingredients.
Can not wait to try it. Thanks for the thread!

Well it's been just over a month since I brewed this. I decided to take a sample of it tonight to see how it's carbing. It's pretty good but I think it needs a little more time in the keg. There is a lovely watermelon aroma but I was hoping for a little more flavor. I'm considering adding another ounce of extract. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I could even add a couple more cups of fresh watermelon juice.
I'm no beer judge but it reminds me of Hoegaarden, which I'm personally a big fan of. Similar color and mouthfeel. It looks much darker in the picture than it actually is. It tastes very 'clean' but I can't really describe what I'm trying to say. Clean is the best word I can think of to describe it. Maybe crisp is a better way to put it.
I did learn one very valuable lesson through this beer. I will never try to carb a keg using any of the burst carb methods again. This has been on 16PSI for just one week and it's already so much better than any of my other kegs that I felt like I was constantly fighting with while rushing the carb.
29x88ee.jpg

I'm very happy that I came across this thread. Thanks to all who contributed:)

I'm attempting my first all grain brew after making 3 extract recipes. Attached is the photo of the ingredients I bought of the watermelon wheat. I take with the brewer at the store and helped me find the closest ingredients. I still have a long way from making this because I just bottled my pumpkin ale. I'm going to wait for that to finish before I start the all grain recipe. It gives me a chance to do a bit more research but I am really excited for this brew.

image-638076394.jpg

My wife has been begging me to brew another batch of this but I am a little hesitant since I had to end up dumping out a case and a half of my last batch. I am almost positive I picked up a wild yeast strain from the watermelon that cause all my bottles to be gushers and two to explode on me.

Do you think the watermelon flavor would be affected if I brought the juice up to a simmer and then cooled before adding to my secondary just to make sure any wild critters are dead?

Do you think the watermelon flavor would be affected if I brought the juice up to a simmer and then cooled before adding to my secondary just to make sure any wild critters are dead?

Yes, it will be. I made a watermelon sorbet last 4th of July. I heated the fresh watermelon juice up to dissolve the sugar (a poor choice, I should have just made a thick simple syrup solution and added it to the fresh melon juice). The slightly cooked juice tasted nasty. I'd revisit your sanitization techniques outside of the fruit (is the bowl sanitary etc).

Edit: your could always go the sorbate/campden route to ensure the juice is clean.

Thanks for the input. This was the first and only infection I have had and have brewed many batches since with no problems so it was definitely from the watermelon addition. I have brewed this recipe successfully a few times so I will just have to be especially careful with sanitation this go around...

This is going to be my first grain recipe. I have all my grains bought just not the melon. I want it to be fresh.

Some guy at my homebrew store suggested starting out with 3 gallons of water steeping all the grains for an hour and afterwards take the grains and pour sanitized water over it to strain all the sugars from the grains into a bucket or back into the kettle.

What do you think of that? Also what is the SG and FG? I can't find the website that gave all that Info.

I'm really excited to make this brew!

This is going to be my first grain recipe. I have all my grains bought just not the melon. I want it to be fresh.

Some guy at my homebrew store suggested starting out with 3 gallons of water steeping all the grains for an hour and afterwards take the grains and pour sanitized water over it to strain all the sugars from the grains into a bucket or back into the kettle.

What do you think of that? Also what is the SG and FG? I can't find the website that gave all that Info.

I'm really excited to make this brew!

Do you not have the equipment (mash tun, kettle capable of a full boil) for all grain yet? What you are suggesting is the basic concept of all grain brewing but if you want your beer to turn out well you need to be much more precise with your water amounts and temperature.

The recipe provided has an OG of 1.049 and anticipated FG of 1.012 but those numbers will vary depending on your efficiency and brewing/fermentation techniques...

kingmatt said:
Do you not have the equipment (mash tun, kettle capable of a full boil) for all grain yet? What you are suggesting is the basic concept of all grain brewing but if you want your beer to turn out well you need to be much more precise with your water amounts and temperature.

My equipment: 2 plastic buckets. 1 primary fermentor and a bottling bucket. 1 glass carboy for secondary fermentation, 2 smaller buckets to strain grains after steeping and a 10 gallon (I believe) brewing kettle. Ill have to crack the grains myself and I don't have the correct tool for that. I was told I can use a bottle or rolling pin. I would get the other 2 smaller buckets for the straining process after I steep (155 degrees) the grains in 3 gallons of water for an hour. After the steep put the grain in the top bucket suspended from the bottom and pour the remaining 4 gallons over it. After boiling and fermentation I should have 5.5 gallonsish.

My equipment: 2 plastic buckets. 1 primary fermentor and a bottling bucket. 1 glass carboy for secondary fermentation, 2 smaller buckets to strain grains after steeping and a 10 gallon (I believe) brewing kettle. Ill have to crack the grains myself and I don't have the correct tool for that. I was told I can use a bottle or rolling pin. I would get the other 2 smaller buckets for the straining process after I steep (155 degrees) the grains in 3 gallons of water for an hour. After the steep put the grain in the top bucket suspended from the bottom and pour the remaining 4 gallons over it. After boiling and fermentation I should have 5.5 gallonsish.

If you have a 10 gallon pot it would be much easier (and better for your beer) to go the BIAB (brew in a bag) method, IMO. Read this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

I would also take your grain back to your LHBS and ask them to mill it for you (they should do it for free) because trying to crush 9# of grain with a rolling pin will be a nightmare and won't give you nearly the efficiency you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Just tasted my batch after 5 days in the primary and I am REALLY looking forward to this beer!

Johnnyhamer said:
Just tasted my batch after 5 days in the primary and I am REALLY looking forward to this beer!

You haven't added any watermelon yet right?

Nope, I have one ready to be juiced in a few days and some lorann watermelon flavoring on the way. The base beer was excellent though.

Johnnyhamer said:
Nope, I have one ready to be juiced in a few days and some lorann watermelon flavoring on the way. The base beer was excellent though.

How much of the extract flavoring are you using? I have a bottle and I'm unsure.

Probably 1 dram of the Lorann watermelon flavor. It's supposed to be 3-4 times stronger than other watermelon extracts and it's water soluble. Ordered it on Amazon for under $4 with shipping. Going with 6 cups of juice so I may not even use the whole thing though.
0260-0100.jpg

Transferred to secondary today. It looked and smelled GREAT! Now I am just trying to get the bits of melon out of my paint strainer....

This recipe/idea is very similar to Pyramid Brewing's Apricot Ale.

50/50 2-row Pale & White Malted Wheat (possibly with some acidulated malt & carapils)
11 IBUs
Roughly 5% abv
Fruit-flavored
Guessing they use Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale Yeast

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/apricot

Pyramid probably uses fresh apricots, apricot puree, & apricot extract. With Watermelon juice though, you're getting more oxidation than usual, which causes browning. To preserve the red color, try adding a bit of raspberry or prickly pear puree/juice with the watermelon. They are not as easily oxidized and natural compliments to watermelon.

Instead of adding quarts of weak juice, I would look into how to make a concentrate so I could add about a cup of highly potent juice for intense color and robust flavor. The trick there is getting much of the water to evaporate, or be excluded, without boiling the liquid or leaving it out for days. Freezing the watermelon first could work. They do something similar with grapes to make sweet Ice Wine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

Another important tip is to use a juicer (not a blender) that is a low RPM masticating type, which doesn't whip air into the juice. You want it to press the pulp to extract the juice, taking care not to oxidize it like a high RPM centrifugal juicer would. Masticating juicers are also more efficient and extract more juice. If you must use a blender, pulse in batches on low speed and then quickly liquify. Strain through two layers of sieves (course mesh on top, fine mesh on bottom).

I have a technical question about the steeping and boiling process.

I'm going to steep with 3 gallons of water and BIAB. When I'm done with the hour of steeping I'm going to strain the grains in a separate bucket with 4 gallons of room temp water and combine the two for the boil. Is the difference in temperatures (room temp water and 155 degree steeping water) going to affect it in a negative way?

I'm new to AG but I think you'd be better using warmer water or sparging. Plenty of helpful and more experienced people that will offer their ideas. Check or post in the techniques forum. Good luck bro

Try it without the Lorann first. 6-8 cups of juice will pleasantly surprise you. "Watermelons contribute no flavor, all water" is a MYTH... BUSTED!

Probably 1 dram of the Lorann watermelon flavor. It's supposed to be 3-4 times stronger than other watermelon extracts and it's water soluble. Ordered it on Amazon for under $4 with shipping. Going with 6 cups of juice so I may not even use the whole thing though.

Try it without the Lorann first. 6-8 cups of juice will pleasantly surprise you. "Watermelons contribute no flavor, all water" is a MYTH... BUSTED!

HOLY S***! It's amazing with great waermelon flavor. Added a little Lorann and it's perfect. Definitely don't think the flavoring was necessary.

DubbelDach said:
For this, I go 1 week primary, 1 week 2ndary with the juice. But read your hydrometer.

Wheat beers = best consumed fresh.

My attempt on the watermelon wheat is in the primary bucket. I did a refractometer reading yesterday and today. I didn't take a picture of it which I should have but it gave me a reading of 6 (1.024). Today's reading was very close to it, but I feel like it may have went up slightly to something like 6.2. Should I still proceed with transferring it to my secondary carboy with the watermelon juice?

Johnnyhamer said:
How long has yours been in primary and at what temp?

It was in there for a 8 days ranging 8 degrees bc of no stable cooling conditions from 66-74.

I moved it into the carboy after I got a 1.024 from my refractometer. SG was 1.048, I figure that it will go down the rest of the way in the carboy..I already had some foam come out of the air lock (I cleaned it up). So I'm going to wait till next Sunday and take a gravity reading and if its at 1.012 I'm going to bottle it if not ill let it longer.

Attached are the photos in chronological order:

1. Refractometer reading
2. Juice prefiltered
3 nylon sock used to strain
4. Sweater I'm covering it with
5 . After sitting for 8 hours
6. Not sure what its called forming on the bottom. Maybe the yeast still working hard?

image-208766488.jpg

image-1297264060.jpg

image-4265299630.jpg

image-3019409806.jpg

image-2135848902.jpg

image-1890667241.jpg

When you guys are adding the watermelon, what do you do for sanitation? When I made my Banana Cream Ale, I blended the bananas with a little rum to kill any nasties. I'm getting ready to make this beer and wondering if when time to add the watermelon juice should I blend it with a little vodka or something to be safe?

When you guys are adding the watermelon, what do you do for sanitation? When I made my Banana Cream Ale, I blended the bananas with a little rum to kill any nasties. I'm getting ready to make this beer and wondering if when time to add the watermelon juice should I blend it with a little vodka or something to be safe?

I didn't do anything to actually sanitize the juice. The alcohol in the beer will take care if that. Just sanitize anything the juice may come in contact with before it goes in secondary. Sanitize the outside of the melon,knife, cutting board, spoons, bowl, strainer, etc

I didn't do anything to actually sanitize the juice. The alcohol in the beer will take care if that. Just sanitize anything the juice may come in contact with before it goes in secondary. Sanitize the outside of the melon,knife, cutting board, spoons, bowl, strainer, etc

Ok thanks. I tend to get very anal when it comes to sanitation and making beer. Fortunately I haven't had any issues yet so just making sure.

This!

It's been about 5 days since I added the watermelon juice and transferred the wort into the glass carboy. I came up a bit short with the amount of liquid even though I used 7 total gallons brewing. My current refractometer reading was steady at 5 which is where it had been since it was in the primary fermentor. Should I keep it in the glass longer so it reaches the 1.012 FG? The other picture is how I'm covering the carboy. My temp in my apartment fluctuates almost degrees so its tough to keep a consistent temp.

image-1180670065.jpg

image-3936472437.jpg

It's been about 5 days since I added the watermelon juice and transferred the wort into the glass carboy. I came up a bit short with the amount of liquid even though I used 7 total gallons brewing. My current refractometer reading was steady at 5 which is where it had been since it was in the primary fermentor. Should I keep it in the glass longer so it reaches the 1.012 FG? The other picture is how I'm covering the carboy. My temp in my apartment fluctuates almost degrees so its tough to keep a consistent temp.

I'd just keep checking your hydro reading. If it's the same in a few days you should be good. Mine was done pretty fast. I think 7 and 7.

Johnnyhamer said:
I'd just keep checking your hydro reading. If it's the same in a few days you should be good. Mine was done pretty fast. I think 7 and 7.

I tasted a bit of it today. I could taste the watermelon but it is also quite bitter. I'm thinking of adding the watermelon extract..maybe not all but just a bit to calm the bitterness down. I'm all for bitter hoppy tastes but not in the fruit beers.

Back