Vented silicone stoppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used the silicone vented stoppers that northern brewer and Midwest etc. sell ? Thy basically are a dry airlock for glass carboys. I have a lambic that the airlock is drying out every 3 days or so. It's in it's fourth month and I'm loosing my mind adding water every few days but, I'm also nervous about these dry airlock a. Any input is appreciated.

I've seen them used in wine making with great success. Basically a one-way vent in case there is any offgassing. I'm also interested in how useful they are in beer brewing, or bulk aging. They seem like they would work well but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I have never purchased one simply because I have a shoe box full of 3pc airlocks. But today, after I checked on my lager and found most all the water sucked in from the rapid temp change, I am seriously thinking of picking one or two up.

Well unless anyone else chimes in ill be the guinea pig. I've got to do something as I will not continue aging this lambic and babysitting a airlock every 3 days.

I use them at work, you just don't want to use them for primary. They do release pressure but sometimes they get stuck and build up pressure. So just check them every once in a while to make sure they don't pop out.

That's exactly what I want them for is bulk aging. For a lambic..Flanders red and a barleywine. So ill be clicking the botton with northern brewer T-5 sec.

Aschecte said:
Well unless anyone else chimes in ill be the guinea pig. I've got to do something as I will not continue aging this lambic and babysitting a airlock every 3 days.

I've used them with no problem. For you issue though I'd just stay with a blowoff tube in a bucket. It would take a LONG time for evaporation to be an issue, and this setup is basically a giant airlock anyway.

For the vacuum issue created by chilling I used one and it obviously prevented airlock water from being sucked in but the vacuum was still there causing my better bottle to deform from the pressure. I'm not sure what the solution to this is. Anyone? Buehler?

I would not trust a blow-off system to any brew that's outside of it's initial stages of fermentation because of the chance of temperature pressure changes sucking back in the blowoff water. I just saw a post to this effect on this forum today actually. Could it work? Absolutely, but my feeling is that the risk is too high considering that it could be minimized for a few dollars.

I prefer to use S-lock airlocks for long term aging but there is the definite possibility of complete evaporation with these just like the 3-peice airlocks. However, I find the evaporation to be reasonably slow and the chance of suck-back to be minimal. I only fill my S-lock airlock about half as high as the 'Max Fill' line so that when all liquid is sucked back into the closest chamber to my carboy there is still plenty of headspace so that bubbles don't actually get sucked into my carboy (I hope that makes sense :D ). I definitely prefer the S-lock to 3-piece airlock any day.

If I knew I was planning a yearlong bulk aging on something that might be offgassing periodically, I might opt for the silicone vented stopper. So far, my long-term brews (red wines and meads) have not required more than my S-locks (which are quite cheap at about $1.25 each).

IMO, Primary only unless it's a lower gravity beer.. or, if you don't secondary, use them after the main fermentation is complete. They won't work successfully if full of blowoff. They are great if you are moving a brew from one location to another as there is no suckback.

I have never purchased one simply because I have a shoe box full of 3pc airlocks. But today, after I checked on my lager and found most all the water sucked in from the rapid temp change, I am seriously thinking of picking one or two up.

Uh, maybe not :eek: I decided to use one and cold crashed before bottling. You know those things are pretty soft/mushy, well in my case the temp change sucked the whole thing into the fermenter! Not good! I may use one again, but the chances are slim when there are other options, for me anyway.

Yeah I found some reviews on NB that caution about the stopper being sucked into to Carboy with lager temps. I think that's a very valid concern. In my situation specifically whereas I only make ales and have no intentions of lagering I think these vented stoppers are the way to go. I appreciate the advice of a blow off setup and I considered that as well but there will still be a level of maintance with this. The vented stoppers seem to be a set it and forget it product. With my sours I only want to look at then to enjoy the pellicle not stay up at night worried about the airlock.

You know those things are pretty soft/mushy, well in my case the temp change sucked the whole thing into the fermenter! Not good!

Good to know! I would hope one could vent the vacuum with some diligence, but I will absolutely keep this in mind. Thank you for the head's up!

My order just came in. Man I don't know how I feel about this the top is flush but I can see how passive air can still exchange. As far as suck back no way no how as it will make a tighter positive seal at that point here's some pics.

image-3218777573.jpg

image-2765477694.jpg

image-334987509.jpg

image-3901936682.jpg

That's how they all work. I think the key is to use on fermenters and do not cold crash as they might suck air ( and in some models the whole stopper) back in. Really, with that design I don't think it would be a problem, just us old hens clucking about something which really isn't an issue.

Back