way too much k-meta!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampcider

Reaction score
well,this could be the blunder of a lifetime.pressed/juiced 35 gallons with some friends and by end of nite a good buzz was had by all. person in charge of k.meta(pot.metabisulfate) put 5 ,yes ,5 teaspoons into each 5 gal. carboy!!!thats about 10 times the amount needed...
is it dead forever? stir and let it vent for a few days? its 45 deg. day time temp.in shop......
will it leave too bogus of a residual taste to be not worth the effort?
any body have anything close to this happen?
am starting 1 gal with lalvin 71b-1122 next to the stove and it better be bubbling by morning!!!! to dilute with 35 gallons of AJC would still be 5 times to much...ARRGGG.... time for a tangerine dream(11% apple/tangerine/coriander) maybe two...
thanks to all who support this site..........................swampcider

The only remedy is peroxide, which binds the so2. There are pages on the web to tell you how much peroxide (h2o2) you need to add, otherwise save it and add to future cider batches. One thing for sure, it won't go off!

How strong is your Kmeta? 5 tsps is only half the equation. depending on the strength, you may be 'high' but not ruined.

Kmeta can also loose it's potency over time. Hopefully it was and old batch.

its brewcraft usa brand, it has a batch no. but no info on web. it says 1/2 tsp per 6 gal...or 1oz into 8oz of water and THAN its one teaspoon per gal....
local brewery owner said its common and just let it sit for a week and so2 test.
LBS said add one teaspoon hydrogen perixide per tsp of overdose.
weekendbrewer.com said stir every 6 hours vigorisly for a day and have a yeast starter ready to go at the end.
i am going to stir with a degasser 4 times and leave it with the top open and mesh over each time.
add about a half tsp per overdose before initial stir.
titrate was a waste at this point...went white immediatly.
will test 48hrs after final stir...
thats me plan at this point....would love any imput for sure.

I'd try the stirring. Stir often, stir long, and stir hard. When your arm falls off, use the other arm. Cover with a towel, not a lid and airlock, and stir again. Do it as often as you can, and it should really help dissipate the excess S02.

hey yoop< what ppm is my so2 target? 80ish? if i get there do i still need a yeast starter? i hope not. experiment, i would guess is the answer...
you said a towel..i thought a mesh to keep out fruitflys would breath better than a towel..no? after all its only about a no.9.5 cork.
yea,i got me wife doing it...she loves to stir things up :)
i dont care what they say about you yooper, youre alright with me.
i post my results for sure. i did experiment with peroxide too...peaceout

Back