First Lager batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyEye

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first 2 lager batches this weekend. I have 2 vials of WLP yeast (Pilsner yeast and German Lager) that are past their viability date (Oct 2).
I have the option of a 2 and 1 liter flask alternating time on the stirplate, or using two 1 gallon wine jugs for possibly 3 liter starters. If I stick to low gravity (between 4-6% alcohol) recipes, do you foresee me still having issues with diacytel or other fermentation related issues. Will it also be an issue if I make the starters tonight and brew saturday?

Nah, you'll need a good week to get your yeast in shape. I didn't look it up, but your viability will be total crap. If it were me, I'd pitch both yeast packs into a 2L starter, then follow that up with a 3L starter. Then refrigerate a couple days then decant and pitch on brew day. What does yeastcalc say?

In all honesty I didnt even check that yet. I figured I was probably going to be cutting it too close with the starter. With the Ales I usually time it to pitch the starter after 15 hours or so.

Back