Tasted a beer after 3 days in bottle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabrock1

Reaction score
It tasted kinda dry and a strong alcohol taste. The OG was around 1045 and FG was about 1008-1006. It's the coopers lager kit. Well bottle conditioning help this and is it normal?

It is 3 days old. It is like tasting chili before it has time to cook. Even if you are impatient for the 3 weeks you should give a beer normally, wait at least a week. At 1008 it will be a bit dry, but a lager should be anyway. Do not judge the flavor at all at this point. Give it 2 weeks more at least, and then test it.

Happy brewing!

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

I had this similar problem with my amber ale. It had a bit of a stronger alcohol taste at bottling and even after 5 days. It's just green beer let it set 3 weeks at minimum, it will probably be the best between 4-6 weeks imo. give the yeast the time they need to clean up all the off flavors from fermentation.

Who among us really NEVER did this with one of our first brews :)

:D

I was chomping at the bit at 3 days but managed to wait a whole week;) before I sampled the inaugural bottle from my first batch.:rockin::mug:

It was highly carbed, smelled like s4ite and didn't taste much better, had been fermented up around 78-80F due to not having a swamp cooler or any idea about the importance of ferm. temp control during the first few days of vigorous fermentation, but after about three months bottle conditioning it's starting to taste not too far off a Newcy Broon:drunk:

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.[/B] ;)

Revy doesn't even know he answers these posts. It's done completely on impulse while sleep walking.

i still do this because i like to see where the carbonation, foam and taste are at 3 days. when those three things are good at 3 days i get really happy about waiting 2-3 weeks to drink the rest of the batch. the young beer that has tasted bad at 3 days has rarely gotten better for me; my first all grain batch (pinkus clone with kolsch yeast) tasted bad enough to dump but i kept it and it turned out great. that was the exception for me, most of the time my good beer has tasted good right away. my pipeline is pretty mature so my daily drinking beer is always 1-2 months old.

plumbob said:

[hangs head in shame and puts bottle of 1st batch ever brewed that was bottle Saturday morning back in the "conditioning" closet]
Lord grant me patience...

Then how do you know it's not good at 3 days?

I HIGHLY recommend everyone on this forum try their beers when young. At least their first few. It's the only way to know what they're like at that time.

IME, no bottled beer is worth a damn until at least 10 days in the bottle, and many times 20. On the other hand, I've kegged beers that were very very good at 48 hours. Yes, they were, don't tell me they weren't.

I know because I tried them.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Ahh, true, but for 80 cents you can buy a packet of champagne yeast and carb your beer in less than a week. I had my 11% ABV tripel carb in two days, yeast had totally dropped out too. I do this on any beer that I brew with a high attenuating yeast, and have never gotten any bottle bombs or had it not work. In fact, my champagne-carbed IPA recently placed first at a comp.

Yeah,def needs at least 3 weeks,preferrably 4 weeks,for that cooper's OS lager to get good. It's actually a light pale ale,if you wanna split hairs. But I thought it def neeeded some flavor hops. Then it's pretty darn good for a session beer.
As for myself,I waited 3 solid weeks to the day before trying them. Even my wife beamed a great smile as she raised her glass. Dang,that felt awsome!

Back