Question about secondary fermentation for ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, was looking for some thoughts on secondary fermentation. I have a belgian style ale that has been sitting in secondary since October. What effects can I expect for having it sit for so long instead of bottling after 2 weeks in secondary? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

This all depends on how sanitary you were when cleaning your secondary fermentor and how much air is on top of it. If you transferred at the end of primary (while it was still fermenting a bit) like you should be doing, then you'll have enough co2 on top of the beer to prevent oxydation. That means that your beer has just beed aging for 6 months. If it's a higher gravity belgian, nothing but good can come of extended aging. If you haven't seen any white film or other signs of infection by now, you're probably good. I'd expect a very well conditioned belgian.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do have a thin foam/layer of yeast on the top. A few bubbles. I thought I was pretty sanitary with secondary, but maybe I wasn't. I spoke with the owner of the homebrew store by me and he said the thin layer/bubbling was pretty normal but I didn't go into details about the style of beer I was making, etc...I guess I'll get it into the bottle and test it out at this point. Thanks again for the thoughts on this.

Back