Kenmore 8.8 cu ft on sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was in another section.

Hope I'm putting this in the right section - first post...

Slickdeals.net has a posting for a Kenmore 8.8 cu ft. chest freezer at Sears (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616922000P?aff=Y&sid=I0084400010000100383).
Original price ~$330 on sale for $199. If you search it out on Bing.com you can get an additional 20% cash back making the final price about $175 if you can arrange to pick one up at a local store and save on shipping.

I'd been looking for one for a while and though it may be of use to someone else too.

You should of seen the look on their faces when I walked into Sears with 6 corny's when they had a sale I was testing for fit in their freezers. I did a Sears electrical remodel plus purchased a freezer at their employee discount 11 years ago. Now I have 1/4" plywood discs to measure for corny capacity then measure for corny heigth clearance.
Good price for that 8.8 cu/ft, not a clue on their quality these days or who makes them for Sears.

Kenmore is made by Whirlpool. I have a frigidaire 9 cu ft chest freezer that holds a 5lb co2 bottle, a hanging basket for glasses, 2 corny kegs, and a half barrel with a little coercion. That one is just a tad bit smaller but would hold 2 corny's or 1 corny and 1 half barrel. I looked at it before buying mine.

Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.

Not correct. Kenmore freezers are built by Frigidaire.

As an FYI, not all Kenmore product is built by Whirlpool. Within the last 2-3 years, SEARS has started outsourcing more and more product from Korean companies such as LG and Samsung.

According to Sears they only use Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire products. It may be a Frigidaire freezer. At the time I bought mine I compared the 2 and it looked nothing like the Frigidare and the salesman told me it was a Whirlpool. But that was about a year ago so they might have switched to Frigidaire. Either way it's a good deal and I am quite happy with my Frigidaire freezer.

According to Sears they only use Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire products. It may be a Frigidaire freezer. At the time I bought mine I compared the 2 and it looked nothing like the Frigidare and the salesman told me it was a Whirlpool. But that was about a year ago so they might have switched to Frigidaire. Either way it's a good deal and I am quite happy with my Frigidaire freezer.
Sears will buy from anyone that comes up with the lowest price on their set design specs sent out to bid is what Sears wants. They are not loyal to any one or many manufacture brand names. I found this out by my 'ex wife as a supervisor for Sears plus myself working for 6 years on Sears store remodels. I've had many decussions with Sears higher up brass over the years overseeing these remodels. Don't leave out made in China products. Like Chraftman tools i've been told now made in China as well Cressent tools made to a price sent to bid. Many products made in Taiwan are now assembled in China saving on labor. Backing up 19 years ago Delta 10" compound mitre saws made in the USA assembled in the Philippines. Same Delta saw relabled with Craftsman stickers instead of Delta sold at Sears. Irwin bit extensions a good old USA manufacture read the lable they come in at Home Depot, made in China or India.
Michelin tires a great quality tire made to Sears cost limits hence a reduced quality tire without the known high mileage wear they built their business from. GM in China go figure maybe their vehicle product quality will go up?
GM trucks made in South America for years. Done ranting off topic here.

When I was looking for a new freezer about a year ago I was told (by an appliance store mgr... maybe not the most reliable source) that only two companies now make consumer quality freezers: Frigidaire and Crosley. All others are rebranded versions from these two companies.

When I was looking for a new freezer about a year ago I was told (by an appliance store mgr... maybe not the most reliable source) that only two companies now make consumer quality freezers: Frigidaire and Crosley. All others are rebranded versions from these two companies.

Whirlpool just purchased the manufacturing facilites from a bankrupt company called W.C. Woods. Woods had liscensed the Whirlpool name on their freezers for years. With W.C. Woods going under, it allowed Whirlpool to buy the plant and keep all the factory employees. All Whirlpool freezers will be made in the USA (Ohio).

Whirlpool just purchased the manufacturing facilites from a bankrupt company called W.C. Woods. Woods had liscensed the Whirlpool name on their freezers for years. With W.C. Woods going under, it allowed Whirlpool to buy the plant and keep all the factory employees. All Whirlpool freezers will be made in the USA (Ohio).

Wow! That's good news keeping (at least something) manufacturing in the USA. My reply before was from what was told 2 years ago as i've retired. My Sears dishwasher purchased new back then for my house with the exact model and brand by Sears but 5 years older. I installed the old one in my rental house with the new one for my house. A big mistake! Same models and brands but ther new one with many problems besides it's 3 times louder than the old machine. Sounds like it's destroying dishes or crushing rocks. One must leave the room on the phone or crack the washer door open to stop the racket. This newer Kenmore sucks!
Without me able to get out to Sears with a load of corny's (I like to tease my old Sears employee friends) to check for fit thanks for the reply from above. Too bad as my friend was in the market for a keezer and that 6 corny capacity made him wanting to buy one ASAP. Rats and now the sales over. Wait and keep looking.

Back