First year goes nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Cascade.jpg

Did my first year harvest,

Magnum 7oz wet
Centennial 8oz wet
Cascade 2lbs wet - Huh?

Why so much Cascade? All 3 were planted in pots with a mix of regular potting soil and Miracle Grow moisture retaining soil. I did not do anything special, gave them a little time release fertilizer after 90 days and watered.

Pretty cool considering I was not expecting more than an ounce or two.

So the question is what do I do with the pots? Leave them outside all winter? Cover them? Bring them in the garage? I figure if I leave them outside they will flood in the pots which don't have drain holes.

Cascades is a heavy producer. One of the reasons growers like it. They'll be fine outside.

Wow, that is a GREAT first year harvest.
I did't get 2 lbs, off of 7 multi year plants and 8 1st year plants...

Although the weeds growing in with the hops did just fine...maybe I should pay more attention to them?

I got maybe a quarter pound dry, combined, from my one Chinook and three Cascades first year plants.

I have Nugget, Williamette and Cascade. So far I have gotten a little over a lb from the Cascade. The other two havent done a whole lot. Nugget just started to show first signs of cones. Nothing from the Williamette yet.

Latest posts

Back