Barrington, IL BrewFest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it but I gotta work and can't get there - on your way back north check out Flatlander's in Lincolnshire and Mickey Finn's in Libertyville - and tell us how it was!

Skol!

SBN said:
Saw it but I gotta work and can't get there - on your way back north check out Flatlander's in Lincolnshire and Mickey Finn's in Libertyville - and tell us how it was!

Skol!

Yup, we'll most likely be hitting Mickey Finn's for dinner afterwards.

Cheesefood said:
At some point, we NoIL brewers need to find a reason to get together and make fun of GRABASS.

you're going to need a more clever name than NoIL.

-walker

Walker-san said:
you're going to need a more clever name than NoIL.

-walker

Go back to the land of legal slavery! :mug:

NoIL: Northern Illinois. Unlike SoIL: Hippies and Farmers.

Wish I could go, but Ihave a friend in from out of town and we already have plans!

I agree with Cheese - we need a get-together!
:mug:

Rhoobarb said:
Wish I could go, but Ihave a friend in from out of town and we already have plans!

I agree with Cheese - we need a get-together!
:mug:

I know of at least three active HB types who aren't on this board who I could recruit...........

SBN said:
I know of at least three active HB types who aren't on this board who I could recruit...........

Then do it man! ;) I read about a brewfest and BBQ at Mickey Finn's on August 5th called the Backlot Brewfest which sounds kick-ass. But that's the one-year anniversary with the girlfriend and, as much as she loves beer, that ain't gonna fly with her. So, I can't make that one either! :mad: But we still need a get-together somewhere, somehow!

The Fest was somewhat of a disappointment, yet fun at the same time.

Now I had only been to one other brewfest, I believe it is called the Great Lakes brewfest and it was held in Racine, WI last year. It was great. It was held at the festival site by the lake, more beer than I could possibly try in one day, and spread out nicely with glass rinsing stations spread throughout the fest. Lots of the breweries were selling pint glasses or shirts, etc. Very cool event.

The Barrington BrewFest was held in a parking lot with a large tent thrown up. They had tables down the midle you could sit at and most of the beer along one side of the tent. Unfortunately instead of moving to the side and drinking or sitting at the tables people would instead form circles to talk...in the middle of the aisle, blocking access to the samples. Often they would stand right at the table where they got the sample and block that. That is SO annoying.

Most of the vendors there were BrewPubs, and the non brew-pub beers were mostly provided by distributors, not the brewerys themselves. There were still a decent amount of brews to try, unfortunately about 75% or more of them were wheat beers. Now I know it's summer, and don't get me wrong, I really like wheat beers, but I would have liked more variety.

They had a pretty decent band playing on one side, which was nice, but made it very hard to hear any conversation in the tent.

Got a second chance to try Fat Tire, and maintained my first impression of it...merely okay. The upside was that since they were serving them from the 22 oz bottles we were able to score a case of empties to take home for bottling. They're commemorative labels celebrating the 'First chance to try Fat Tire (legally) in the Second City' or something like that.

Biggest surprise for me was an Apricot Wheat by one of the Brew Pubs...damned if I can remember which one. I got a flyer but don't have it handy, I'll post it later. Anyway, I would have never thought to make an Apricot Wheat, but we all agreed it was damn good, very smooth. It was thick with a strong Apricot taste, almost like drinking juice. A dangerously easy to drink beer, good if SWMBO doesn't like your hoppy brews.

Also tried Bell's Oberon, another very good Belgian White.

So it was a good time and well run, just a bit crowded, and could have used a more diverse selection.

TWolf10 said:
... I believe it is called the Great Lakes brewfest and it was held in Racine, WI last year. It was great. ...

Yes, I have been meaning to go to that for the last two years and have yet to do it. I have heard nothing but good things about it! Maybe this year. I'll finally get up there!

Here's a link!

Yes, a get-together is a must! The NEIL's and SEWI's...

I just did a separate post for the Great Lakes Brewfest w/ some info on it FYI...

Exo said:
Yes, a get-together is a must! The NEIL's and SEWI's...

I just did a separate post for the Great Lakes Brewfest w/ some info on it FYI...

SWINE - Southern Wisonsin and Illinois North East

Back