Sometimes you just can't trust your wife....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
So my favorite style of beer has always been a Belgian Triple. I've never had the balls to try and brew one because I don't have a solid means for fermentation control.

There is about a month out of the year where my basement stays a solid 63-65 degrees. So I thought I would brew a triple and cross my fingers.

So I brewed my all grain tiple and had an OG of 1.079 and fermented at a solid 64 degrees for a week. After a week I moved the carboy upstairs where the temperature stayed at a solid 70 degrees.

I left the triple in the primary for five weeks and today it went straight to a keg. I'll probably leave it in the keg for another six months.

My FG was 1.009, nice and bone dry. ABV should be aound 9.5%. I thought the hydrometer sample tasted absolutely fantastic.

I needed another opinion so I gave the sample to my wife who hates triples. She said it was too strong and tasted digusting (she's a big fan of Miller Chill what can I say) so I knew I had a winner.

She's a doctor but she doesn't know $hit about beer.

If you gave a beer to a Miller chill drinker and they liked it then I think I wouldn't want to drink that beer.

I know fully grown Men who drink AlchoPoPs at weekend. They hate my beer.
'nuf said.

So my favorite style of beer has always been a Belgian Triple. I've never had the balls to try and brew one because I don't have a solid means for fermentation control.

neither do I.. it doesn't stop me from making them however :)
Chaos, fluctuating temperatures and patience can lead to a really good triple.

:)

There is about a month out of the year where my basement stays a solid 63-65 degrees. So I thought I would brew a triple and cross my fingers.

So I brewed my all grain tiple and had an OG of 1.079 and fermented at a solid 64 degrees for a week. After a week I moved the carboy upstairs where the temperature stayed at a solid 70 degrees.

I left the triple in the primary for five weeks and today it went straight to a keg. I'll probably leave it in the keg for another six months.

My FG was 1.009, nice and bone dry. ABV should be aound 9.5%. I thought the hydrometer sample tasted absolutely fantastic.

I needed another opinion so I gave the sample to my wife who hates triples. She said it was too strong and tasted digusting (she's a big fan of Miller Chill what can I say) so I knew I had a winner.

She's a doctor but she doesn't know $hit about beer.

you know belgians are one style that you really can let the temp do whatever. Lots of times they even need to get up there a bit to finish or produce some of their flavors. One strain, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, stalls on most people if you don't keep it up around 80. In fact I've never fermented a Belgian below 70.

cheers on the trippel! i just brewed one too. but i had a distinctly different experience with my partner. i fermented the 10 gallon batch with wyeast 3787 in one of those blue 15 gallon extract containers... in our living room for two weeks at 64 - 72 (o.g. 1.077). last night i drew off a hydrometer sample (1.008) and she enjoyed it as much as i did. i'm often thankful for her appreciation of this art when i read gripes about significant others on here. though she's by nature a very frugal person, she's never said any thing about the money or amount of time i spend on brewing (i've brewed about 120 all-grain batches in the last 3 years).
there are barley-pop drinkers who come 'round here though. once in a while i brew one for them. it's usually a wit, a mild, or a kolsch (since i can't do lagers without a bunch of juggling), and sometimes even those are too gamey for them. i figure it's their loss. it's like clinging to twinkies when there's creme brule to be had.

you know belgians are one style that you really can let the temp do whatever. Lots of times they even need to get up there a bit to finish or produce some of their flavors. One strain, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, stalls on most people if you don't keep it up around 80. In fact I've never fermented a Belgian below 70.

I think you are thinking of a saison....those are supposed to be fermentated around 70 and then gradually brought up to 80 degrees or so to dry them out completely.

yeah with a big beer I was trying to keep the fusel alcohols down.

My wife is actually starting to come around. We went to dinner last night and she didn't order a Bud Light. I asked her why she didn't get a beer and she said "Because they don't have real beer here". It almost brought a tear to my eye. :D

Girlfriends are easy to convert. Try to get your mom to drink an IPA. That is a challenge.

I think you are thinking of a saison....those are supposed to be fermentated around 70 and then gradually brought up to 80 degrees or so to dry them out completely.

Actually it can be pretty common for a lot of belgian strains to not fully attenuate if you keep them cool throughout the entire fermentation. General recommendation is to start low, 68ish and ramp up to around 75 towards the end to help dry it out and produce a nice estery profile.

And I still remember a certain strain that all but requires an 80F temp, but cannot find it at all. Everyone talks about it during the summer months though.

I'm pretty lucky. While my wife won't taste my brews -she doesn't drink beer of any kind, and rarely takes a sip of any form of alcohol) she is completely behind my brewing wishes.
My fathers' wife only preferred Mich Ultra (I used to ask her what the point of it was? Its got no flavor ! If I wanted to drink thinned water in a bottle, I'd carbonate some and bottle it) -but she has really taken to some of my American Ales -and to say the least, they are NOT short on flavor. My dad would drink just about anything, so his input isn't really a whole lot of use where improving the beer is concerned.

I am actually glad that my wife doesn't like my beer. More for me! She does put a dent in my wine cellar, though.

The rest of my family is another matter. 10 gallons of IPA and 5 of haus are ready for Christmas visitors.

Latest posts

Back