home brewer's dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarmaa

Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've come across an unexpected dilemma. I drink alot of beer, at least 2-5 a day. Hardly ever get drunk though. The question is to drink? Or not to drink? I only have so many bottles at any given time that are ready to drink. I constanlty find myself opening the fridge and contemplating if i should grab one or save it for later. I have yet to close the fridge without taking one out, but I'm running out! Does anyone else have this problem?

Running out? Not really.

Drinking lots of homebrew? Yeah, I definitely have that problem.

Sounds like you need to brew bigger batches and/or more often. Cheers :D

So true, I have to start to brew more often and now with a keg it's even worse. You don't even think that. It more like how about a drink? Sure, why not?

Janx said:
Drinking lots of homebrew? Yeah, I definitely have that problem.

My ever increasing beer gut is testament to that problem!

Running out...yeah, I haven't as yet nailed the production line aspects of homebrewing either..:drunk:

no dillema here. just brew more. try brewing two batches in one day. i'm in a bad situation with this myself, down to a case of assorted brews. but with 10 gallons conditioning and 5 fermenting it should no longer be a problem.

I see your problem is not brewing often enough. I have on hand at any given time 3 kegs not including the 2 in my kegerator and at least 5 dozen of various bottled. If I don't brew every 2nd week than I face your problem of not having enough. I have an ale in secondary and a lager in secondary and can't wait to move either of them so I can brew again. The only problem I really experience is which yummy brew do I drink now? Also since going AG my brews have tasted so much better that I'm probely drinking a tad more and I might have to increase my brewing to just about avery weekend lol.

boo boo said:
Also since going AG my brews have tasted so much better that I'm probely drinking a tad more and I might have to increase my brewing to just about avery weekend lol.

Do you really find that it tastes better or are you just more proud cuz you did all grain brewing? :D I have heard some say its better and others say ya can't really tell. I'm still a ways from trying AG but would like to get to that point.

MrSaLTy said:
Do you really find that it tastes better or are you just more proud cuz you did all grain brewing? :D I have heard some say its better and others say ya can't really tell. I'm still a ways from trying AG but would like to get to that point.
I can honesty say that my AG brews have improved my appreciation of my beer 100 % . I made a decent brew with extract but the diference is like chaulk and cheese. So far I have only made lighter colored lagers and ales but my stock of Dry stouts are diminishing and I'll need to brew one soon. Time will tell if the stout AG is better, but if my first attempts are any indication then I know I'll be pleased. Fresh malt = great beer given everything else equal, after all the only real diference is the actual malt itself and the way I mash.:mug:

Yeah my problem is space. I only have 2 primary and 2 secondary, one priming and not enough bottles. The bottles i can take care of since I work at a bar. kegs might not be a problem since i just picked up another job at a microbrewery. My main problem i think is cashflow. I can't afford to brew that often. Maybe with this second job things will change. Nevertheless, it's still trying times getting the funds to keep my brewery going, and finding the time to brew between working 50 hrs a week and going to school full time as well. I'm tempted to take out another student loan and then drop out.

BadKarmaa said:
My main problem i think is cash flow. I can't afford to brew that often. Maybe with this second job things will change. Nevertheless, it's still trying times getting the funds to keep my brewery going, and finding the time to brew between working 50 hrs a week and going to school full time as well. I'm tempted to take out another student loan and then drop out.
I have the same cash flow problem too but I've found some ways to reduce the cost.
1. I'm now harvesting the yeast from the primary saving me over $6 each batch. I figure I can do this 3 or 4 times.
2. I purchased a 50 pound bag of 2-row for about $30.00 a savings of over 30 cents per pound compared to the per pound price.
3. I just purchased 3 pounds of hops from Hops Direct. The price came to about to 42 cents per ounce. My LHBS charges $1.50 per ounce.

Latest posts

Back