Extract Overattenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipsrx

Reaction score
Tried to search this topic with no luck. I have brewed several extract recipes lately that keep coming out about 7-9 points below my calculated FG. I have been hitting the OG spot on. The latest was a blue moon summer honey wheat clone with OG 1.061 & FG 1.017 but it came out at 1.010 (calc ABV 5.73 but actual 6.8%). This was using S-05 yeast at 68 degrees the entire time. Am I being too efficient when steeping my grains? I wouldn't think the steeping grains would change the gravity that much. I steeped at 155 for 30 min. Do I need to change my temp for steeping? Also, it seems I may have read about wild yeast leading to overattenuation.

Here's the recipe:

3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light
3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat
1.5 lb Honey
7.5 lb Total

Steeping Grains
1 lb American - White Wheat (had to use torrified)
1 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb Flaked Oats
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt

Thanks for the input.

With that much honey you're guaranteed a low finishing gravity. 1.017 seems too high for a beer with a pound and a half of honey.

I've been using Brewer's Friend for my calculations. I have seen a lot of people mention Beer Smith. Should I upgrade to Beer Smith or is there a better route?

I've been using Brewer's Friend for my calculations. I have seen a lot of people mention Beer Smith. Should I upgrade to Beer Smith or is there a better route?

No, I've never found a decent software/calculator to come up with a good FG. It really depends on the ingredients, yeast strain, etc, so you sort of have to figure that one out by yourself. 1.017 is ridiculously high for such a beer, and you'll learn that once you've been brewing for a while.

Back