three weeks at 70 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cageybee

Reaction score
.....in the bottle. Heard that loud and clear. the challenge is 70 degrees....house doesn't stay that warm (consistently) in the winter. so, do they make an "un-fridge" that you can put your beer bottles into that will keep them at a particular (warmer) temp? has anyone cleverly made something that would do the job? I'm not above designing something if nobody else has.

thanks!

My house is 65 or less in winter I put my bottles in the warmest spot I can find and wait 4 weeks to test the first one. They will carb up ... just will take a little longer

Yeah, if 3 weeks isn't long enough! I keep mine upstairs when carbing up in the winter (normally they're down in the crawlspace).

I'm in the same boat as you, cageybee. I have an automatic thermostat that is set at 62° when I'm not home or when I'm sleeping. However I tested a bunch of rooms upstairs and found that our guest bath stay in the 67°-72° range all day and night if I keep the door closed. Takes about 2 weeks to get a little carbonation and 4 weeks to be complete. The wife isn't exactly happy that the bathroom is now full of beer carbing up, but hey, it works!

Mine sit in a drafty mudroom at 62 during the winter and have no problem carbing in week or two. I wouldn't troubleshoot a problem you don't have yet.

MY shop/beer cave has 90gallons worth of hot water heaters in it. I have to be able to take advantage of that somehow.

You can put them in the oven for about 12-24 hours at 150F, that has worked for me in the past.

** FYI ** - You'll probably lose a couple of bottles to explosion though so be smart about it.

Mine wouldn't carb well if at all @ 62F. I keep mine boxed up in the master bedroom on my side of the room. Right next to my Fender Rockpro 1000 half stack. Warmest room in the house,& it still takes 3-4 weeks to carb & condition well. We'll see how the new bench capper helps this situation.

What yeast did you brew with?

I mean as long as you were with-in it's range you should be fine BUT:

Ya: you get a Johnson Controls Temp Controller and you set it up fo 70 degrees.

Then you connect it to a light bulb and pu it is a interior closet or a big box with the beer you ant to carbonate.

When it is cold the bulb goes on and warms up the space.

DPB

You can put them in the oven for about 12-24 hours at 150F, that has worked for me in the past.

woah, is this true? Mama-mia, does it really work? Does it affect the beer's taste? Anyone else tried this?

I'm very curious about quick-carbing some homebrew this way. Although being a total newb, I'm not sure if you're joking.

Sounds safe.

OP - again, I wouldn't troubleshoot a problem you don't have yet. Just leave them for a week or two and try one.

Sounds safe.

OP - again, I wouldn't troubleshoot a problem you don't have yet. Just leave them for a week or two and try one.

lol, can't tell if it's sarcasm or not, but I guess 65 degrees Celsius is a bit hot to keep bottled beer at... thanks but no thanks. :)

haha for the love of God please don't put your bottled beer in the oven. That guy can't be serious. Anyway, 70 for three weeks is ideal for carbing. I'm sure most of us have had beers carb up at lower temps in a shorter amount of time, use the 70/3 as a guideline. Close enough is probably close enough, just try to get it in the warmest place you can in the house (ok, well not as warm as the oven) and let it do its thing, you'll probably be fine. If its not warm enough, you may just have to give it an extra week or two.

Back