Will this oxidize my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I want to oak a stout in my keg, but if I just throw the bag of oak in it will sink to the bottom... Anyway I can keep it in kind of like I have it here and not let it just get thrown in?
Also, if I hook this up to c02 and purge headspace, even though I can hear it leak, will it let oxygen back in ya think? or just not keep it pressurized?
Would something like fishing line maybe work?
Thanks!

kegpic1.JPG

I tried fishing line, and it wouldnt seal. Ive read on here that satin non minted dental floss works best.

I don't want it on the bottom though.. I want to be able to grab it out when I want it out...
Hmm... Maybe I'll try the dental floss and a lot of lube around the area...
The second question though still is... will it oxidize the beer this way or just not keep a seal?

I've got a bag of hops hanging in one my kegs right now that I've been working on for 4 weeks probably, and I'm on the cusp of floating this keg. I did the floss tied around a 1 gallon mesh bag dangled about 1/3 way down, and the other end is tied to the keg handle. So far, no issues with oxidation or leaks. When I first sealed the keg I had to give a couple little pulls on the floss to get a good seal but I was sealing at serving pressure (12psi).

I also have a new, untapped keg with another bag of hops dangling in it. I sealed it at 20psi and then let rest at room temp for a week before putting in the kegerator under serving pressure. Again, so far so good on this one. I didn't have to give any tugs on this one to get a good seal (probably the little extra psi did the trick).

Edit: On second thought, you're talking about oak - wood. I have oak cubes floating in my bulk aging wine that has been floating for 1.5 months so far. Eventually they'll become wine-logged and fall but so far so good. You could, if you wanted, just let them float around and when you want them out use a sanitized slotted spoon (or similar) to retrieve them. It's not as simple as the suspended bag with floss trick though.

Either way as long as it is under pressure oxygen wont be able to get in. if the seal is broken oxygen wont be able to get in because the co2 will be escaping under pressure.

I don't want it on the bottom though.. I want to be able to grab it out when I want it out...
Hmm... Maybe I'll try the dental floss and a lot of lube around the area...
The second question though still is... will it oxidize the beer this way or just not keep a seal?

Ive dryhopped countless beers using non-mint denatl floss with a hop bag/nylon stockings and marbles...always get a seal...it will not oxidize your beer doing this, as long as you are purging your keg afterwards you are fine...
Igotsand

well it wouldn't be under pressure really.... well i guess not much to speak of... but the same pressure that a carboy might have with an airlock so I don't think it would really be abnle to get back in either.. just was making sure
thanks

well it wouldn't be under pressure really.... well i guess not much to speak of... but the same pressure that a carboy might have with an airlock so I don't think it would really be abnle to get back in either.. just was making sure
thanks

If it isnt under pressure and the seal is broken, your beer will most definitely oxidize. However dental floss seems to be your solution without breaking the seal.

Got the floss going and I think it's all good. Will check it in the morning to see if it has lost pressure

Latest posts

Back