Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have pale, munich, C80 and Chocolate malts available and a myriad of hop varieties at my disposal. I am trying to make a brown ale that toes the line of hoppiness to be almost india style but still very smooth and not as big as an india brown. Basically, a tasty,1.055 to 1.060 brown ale that is hoppy and bitter enough to keep me interested. Any ideas?

65% Pale
15% munich
10% C80
5% chocolate
5% oats
Wyeast 1056
15 ibu of millenium at 60
hopburst with centennial and willamette to get IBU up to 40 or so?

Any input or ideas on a nice brown ale would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd take the crystal down to 5-6% but that's all preference. Other than that it looks good. I'm assuming thats Munich 10L or lighter we're talking about? I like a bit of victory in a brown ale but honestly with the oats and the Munich I think you've covered that base . Willamette and Centennial should be a good combo for this.

I'd take the crystal down to 5-6% but that's all preference. Other than that it looks good. I'm assuming thats Munich 10L or lighter we're talking about? I like a bit of victory in a brown ale but honestly with the oats and the Munich I think you've covered that base . Willamette and Centennial should be a good combo for this.

Yes it is munich 10L. I could cut the C80 back to 6% or so. C80 can become a bit overwhelming. That is a good idea. Thank you.

I like 10% crystal malt in my brown ales. I split it 50/50 between 40*L and 80*L though.

I like 10% crystal malt in my brown ales. I split it 50/50 between 40*L and 80*L though.

Yeah, I don't think 10% is unreasonable for a brown. Is that all that is leftover for you? If so you might as well toss it in there and get rid of it. Looks like you know what your looking for and your recipe should get you there

Back