Found a 5 gallon carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTanium

Reaction score
My brother & his wife just bought a new house. Very exciting.

They were giving us a tour of their immaculately-landscaped backyard and saw some glass hiding under an overgrown bush.

He pulls it out, and it's a 5-gallon grenade-style glass carboy! It was absolutely filthy. Who knows what the previous owners were using it for - maybe a rain barrel of sorts.

Our wives said sarcastically, "Hey, you gonna use that for homebrewing? Hardy har har..."

Me: "Yes, actually! I'm pumped!"
Wives: <Looks of disgust>

An hour later after a hot oxy soak and brushing and it's sparking clean, good as new.

Next step: Fill with beer

Noice! Curse of the home brewer: "yeah I could brew in that!"

Yeah, that's for sure. Currently fermenting in my brew kettle b/c I'm too cheap to buy another carboy or bucket. All mine are tied up lagering right now. So I'm VERY excited to have another carboy.

Odds of finding a carboy versus odds of winning the lotto?? Who knows, both ridiculously low.

Cost of playing "find a carboy game' = $0. expected value = $0
Cost of playing lotto = $5, expected value = -$5

I'll stick to finding carboys :)

TyTanium said:
Odds of finding a carboy versus odds of winning the lotto?? Who knows, both ridiculously low.

Cost of playing "find a carboy game' = $0. expected value = $0
Cost of playing lotto = $5, expected value = -$5

I'll stick to finding carboys :)

I can get on board with this lol!!!!

Back