ferm temp for wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddogsleezy

Reaction score
i'm brewing a black IPA from a norther brewer extract kit. the recipe instructions say to ferment from 60-72 degrees. i just bought a johnson temp. controller and was wanting to control my fermentations a little better. any suggestions on what temp to ferment at? or what will be the difference in the finished beer if i ferment closer to 72 as opposed to 60?

thanks

The lower temp will produce a cleaner beer; the higher temp will bring out more of the yeast's esters. If it were me, I would target 66-68F. Keep in mind that a temp strip stuck to the side of the carboy may read 68, but the inside (during active fermentation) will likely be higher from all that activity (by at least 2 degrees).

just brewed that NB Black IPA kit, but used Wyeast 1056. I kinda wish I had accelerated the grain-to-glass time, as the best hop flavor I got was from the 1st under-carb'ed bottle at 5 weeks (3 in primary, 2 in bottles). With that in mind, I'd start 1056 or 1272 around 66* and bump it up a couple as ferm slows to finish the beer quicker.

My favorite yeast. It gets estery towards the top end. Ideally, I try to balance in the middle for clean, yet flavorfull character of the yeast. 66ish is perfect to start it out, let it rise to 68, to finish out.

Back