Mead Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobinobin

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently got interested in brewing; mead and cider specifically. The hobby is ridiculously addictive! I'm constantly checking my cupboard to see how things are progressing. I started brewing on the 17th with a simple mead and turbo cider. Pic of the mead after 5 days attached below. Since then I've been down to the local brewing shop twice and have 2 meads, 2 ciders: one from my own blood, sweat and tears - pressing apples is hard without a press...the process involved multiple buckets, a rolling pin and a blender, as well as some thin cloth for straining - and the other from apple juice, as well as a plum wine / jerkum thing made from fresh plums. It smells and tasted extremely acidic...bit worried about this one. Anyways just here to say hello and thanks for the interesting info on this forum!

PS: I tried a commercial mead - the only mead I could find - from morrisons (UK). It was extremely sweet and the aroma of honey was overwhelming. It was like a really sweet dessert wine. I'm making it my mission to make a more drinkable semi-dry mead for my friends and I (who are also into the idea of mead). Wish me luck!
PPS: Is it possible to make an extremely drinkable mead between the ranges of 8-10%? Any pointers on how to achieve such? Thanks

001.jpg

Dry meads are rare as rocking horse **** over here, unless you're very lucky or make them yourself.

The place down here that does a number of meads, all except one are the mega sweet, dessert type.

You'll find that its about aiming for the best quality honey you can find, then aiming for 1 or 2 % above your intended strength, fermenting dry and then back sweetening. Dry meads are an acquired taste, so I would suggest an experiment with that batch, letting it finish dry and then back sweetening it with 50/50 honey water syrup a little at a time and then take a gravity reading and taste, to work out your preferred level of sweetness.

Back sweetening with honey can cause a haze in a cleared mead, which is why I sweeten mine to about 1.010-1.015 for a "medium sweet" level. Then I clear it.

The mega sweet dessert meads are about 1.040 out of the bottle.

Have a search for the "Gotmead Newbee guide", it explains most of the current suggested techniques, and while it alludes to supplies available to the US market, you can get either the same stuff mail order or equivalents. Don't believe what you might hear in a home brew shop as most of them know sod all about meads. Plus don't heat the honey and avoid champagne yeast if possible.

Dry meads are rare as rocking horse **** over here, unless you're very lucky or make them yourself.

The place down here that does a number of meads, all except one are the mega sweet, dessert type.

You'll find that its about aiming for the best quality honey you can find, then aiming for 1 or 2 % above your intended strength, fermenting dry and then back sweetening. Dry meads are an acquired taste, so I would suggest an experiment with that batch, letting it finish dry and then back sweetening it with 50/50 honey water syrup a little at a time and then take a gravity reading and taste, to work out your preferred level of sweetness.

Back sweetening with honey can cause a haze in a cleared mead, which is why I sweeten mine to about 1.010-1.015 for a "medium sweet" level. Then I clear it.

The mega sweet dessert meads are about 1.040 out of the bottle.

Have a search for the "Gotmead Newbee guide", it explains most of the current suggested techniques, and while it alludes to supplies available to the US market, you can get either the same stuff mail order or equivalents. Don't believe what you might hear in a home brew shop as most of them know sod all about meads. Plus don't heat the honey and avoid champagne yeast if possible.

Thanks for your advice! I do agree with your home brew advice, the guy I talked to did seem a bit clueless / his info completely conflicted with all the reports I was hearing. About the heating, I heard that it's good to heat the honey a bit (not boiling) to skim the foam that rises to the top off? I'll check the mead newbie thread, thanks!

Nah! Heating honey is old method/technique.

At most, if it won't come out the jar, just put them in a sink of hand hot water changing the water when it goes cold, till the honey runs.

If you read the Newbee guide you'll see the bit about aeration in the early stages, hence I just scoop it out into a liquidiser with water and blitz it. Nicely aerated and runny is the result.....

Hey man,

I'm also new to this mead thing, but unlike you, I haven't started making one quite yet. Still coming up with the cash to get equipment to use.

But i'm interested to keep following your first mead as to how it comes out, so keep us updated.

Also, I tried a California mead (the only one they had at the liquor store). It said it was a medium mead, and it came with some spices in case you feel like making a mulled drink. Chaucers was the brand.

Any comments (besides the ones above) that you think another noob might want to hear?
Anyway, I look forward to hearing how yours comes out!

Hey man,

I'm also new to this mead thing, but unlike you, I haven't started making one quite yet. Still coming up with the cash to get equipment to use.

But i'm interested to keep following your first mead as to how it comes out, so keep us updated.

Also, I tried a California mead (the only one they had at the liquor store). It said it was a medium mead, and it came with some spices in case you feel like making a mulled drink. Chaucers was the brand.

Any comments (besides the ones above) that you think another noob might want to hear?
Anyway, I look forward to hearing how yours comes out!

Did you like the taste of the medium? Not sure about the questions. About the budget thing though, you could easily get sufficient equipment + ingredients for one 1 gal batch for under $25 or so. Plastic PET bottles + airlocks should be around $5, the rest of the equipment could be borrowed / in your house already. The honey's probably the most expensive thing I reckon. Good luck anyway! And thanks, I'll update on how it goes. My plan is to let it ferment out then backsweeten a bit for a medium-dry mead.

Did you like the taste of the medium? Not sure about the questions. About the budget thing though, you could easily get sufficient equipment + ingredients for one 1 gal batch for under $25 or so. Plastic PET bottles + airlocks should be around $5, the rest of the equipment could be borrowed / in your house already. The honey's probably the most expensive thing I reckon. Good luck anyway! And thanks, I'll update on how it goes. My plan is to let it ferment out then backsweeten a bit for a medium-dry mead.

I did / do (I'm still drinking it, lol) like the taste of the medium. I think anything sweeter would just be too sweet for me. I would like to try a dryer mead, but like what has been said, I probably won't be able to until I make my own.

The questions were really just to see if you had anything to say to a newbie, since you are relatively in the same boat (which you did, lol).

Also, question about your honey: did you buy locally, or get it online?

I did / do (I'm still drinking it, lol) like the taste of the medium. I think anything sweeter would just be too sweet for me. I would like to try a dryer mead, but like what has been said, I probably won't be able to until I make my own.

The questions were really just to see if you had anything to say to a newbie, since you are relatively in the same boat (which you did, lol).

Also, question about your honey: did you buy locally, or get it online?

Man, the only mead I can get a hold of in Scotland without ordering online is like a liquor sweetness. I drank the whole bottle, but very slowly heh.

Hmm...comment wise - I guess less from experience but more from reading - experiment with what you brew. Think of it as an experiment of sorts I guess, to figure out what works best for you. Keep everything the same other than the yeast to see what kind of yeast you prefer, keep everything the same other than the amount of honey etc. Try different recipes with spices/fruits etc. I've only personally got two batches of plain show mead brewing at the moment so I'm definitely not speaking from experience lol. Just be patient and remember - when you get time / money to visit the brewery store - there's no such thing as buying too many fermentation vessels / yeast! I regret not just buying like half a dozen demijohns each time.

About the honey...I've been pretty lazy / miserly with that lol...just been using supermarket set clover honey. I would buy locally, but it's pretty frozen here in Scotland and I doubt many beekeepers would be producing / don't know of any locals. Jars of like 340g of orange blossom honey in the supermarket are probably around £4-5 ($7-8 or so) and I'm happy enough just experimenting with the cheaper stuff. I'd be really interested to see what you end up doing for your first batch - keep in contact! Cheers.

@Fatbloke - I had a good read through the newbee guide. It was really in depth and helpful...the spreadsheets/calculators will be really useful to refer to when I try another batch! Thanks man.

Man, the only mead I can get a hold of in Scotland without ordering online is like a liquor sweetness. I drank the whole bottle, but very slowly heh.

Hmm...comment wise - I guess less from experience but more from reading - experiment with what you brew. Think of it as an experiment of sorts I guess, to figure out what works best for you. Keep everything the same other than the yeast to see what kind of yeast you prefer, keep everything the same other than the amount of honey etc. Try different recipes with spices/fruits etc. I've only personally got two batches of plain show mead brewing at the moment so I'm definitely not speaking from experience lol. Just be patient and remember - when you get time / money to visit the brewery store - there's no such thing as buying too many fermentation vessels / yeast! I regret not just buying like half a dozen demijohns each time.

About the honey...I've been pretty lazy / miserly with that lol...just been using supermarket set clover honey. I would buy locally, but it's pretty frozen here in Scotland and I doubt many beekeepers would be producing / don't know of any locals. Jars of like 340g of orange blossom honey in the supermarket are probably around £4-5 ($7-8 or so) and I'm happy enough just experimenting with the cheaper stuff. I'd be really interested to see what you end up doing for your first batch - keep in contact! Cheers.

@Fatbloke - I had a good read through the newbee guide. It was really in depth and helpful...the spreadsheets/calculators will be really useful to refer to when I try another batch! Thanks man.

Let me clarify. The medium to me is definitely sweet. It's just sweet enough. Definitely a dessert type drink, in my eyes. But yea, if the commercial stuff over in Glasgow is sweeter, then I can imagine how long it would take to finish, lol.

Yea, everything over here in Maine is getting pretty cold, so I'm not sure if I'll find any local grown, but if the agriculture up here is like the people, there might still be some bees thriving. Yea, I remember prices being pretty steep when I was in Edinburgh, so I can imagine. It is a bit cheaper here, I believe.

I'll definitely keep you in the loop on my turnabout.

Also, do you plan on playing Centurion with a batch? I feel like it could end terrible. Or terribly awesome. :tank:

I wasn't sure what Centurion was, but then I read about it...and now want to play that. I can imagine the experience of drinking 100 shots of mead being a bit like attempting a glorious jump, and mid air you realise...****, I'm going to fall flat on my face. That'd be 20 shots in of course. Good luck that if you do attempt it haha.

@ tobinobin - the problem with supermarket honey, is that it's been blended for eating, whereas good mead making honey won't have been. Plus if you can look out details of the nearest bee keeping club/association then you may be able to find someone who'll sell you some raw honey. It only needs to have been spun out the comb. Any bits of wax, dead bee's and other hive debris will come out during the ferment/racking etc.

Or possibly you might find a local wholesaler who will do smaller quantities (the local one down here, will do anything from 1lb upwards - just that they don't have a massive range like you see advertised in the US, just about 8 or 10 different honies).

If you can stretch to the cost, then Rowse do a range of honey's just that you end up having to pay supermarket prices for it......

Or there's always the other way, just get enough to make a couple of batches of the JAOM from Chapter 6 of the Gotmead newbee guide

Joe’s Ancient Orange and Spice Mead

A little caveat before we continue. This recipe flies in the face of just about all standard brewing methods used to make consistent and good Meads. It was created by Joe Mattioli to make a fast and tasty drink out of ingredients found in most kitchens. It is therefore perfect for the beginner, which has resulted in it being perhaps the most popular Mead recipe available on the internet. As Joe himself says “It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost foolproof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with. (snip)...it will be sweet, complex and tasty.” Follow the instructions exactly as provided and you cannot go wrong. If you want to make larger batches, just scale up the recipe keeping all ingredients in the same proportion.

1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller, rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional - a pinch of nutmeg and allspice (very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few days frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's - wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that, you are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet), likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

It doesn't matter if it's just cheaper honey then as it's not the main flavour, just part of it. Plus it's easy as hell to make and you don't need to use Fleischmanns yeast (it's a US brand anyway), you can use Allinson's or whatever else is available locally.

@Penguinetti - for sources of honey, here's your link...... or you can just dig around the various mead forums and you'll find people like the Beefolks (over at gotmead)

here's your link[/URL]...... or you can just dig around the various mead forums and you'll find people like the Beefolks (over at gotmead)

Thanks, mate! I'll check those out and see what I can find.

Also, that recipe you posted. It almost seems like a good idea to make that concurrently, so if your other batch messes up, you still have at least one good one, lol. :rockin:

Thanks, mate! I'll check those out and see what I can find.

Also, that recipe you posted. It almost seems like a good idea to make that concurrently, so if your other batch messes up, you still have at least one good one, lol. :rockin:
Da nada my friend.

Joes Ancient Orange is a very easy, straight forward recipe as most, if not all of the ingredients can be obtained from the nearest grocery store - which I suspect was the idea i.e. a good starter recipe.

It's not without it's controversies though. Some people moan about being able to taste too much of the bitter pith taste from the orange, yet I'm convinced that is there to balance out the residual sweetness that you'd normally get from a batch with that amount of honey and it being fermented with bread yeast.

If you do give it a go, I'd suggest that you follow the recipe as closely as you can so you end up with a "benchmark batch".

You can get a fair bit of variation though. For instance, all my batches of JAO have been made using cheap blended store bought honey, as well as my automatically taking "gallon" to be an imperial gallon i.e. 4.55 litres, rather than the 3.78 litres/1 US gallon. They've always turned out fine. As have, I believe, others in mainland Europe who will make a 5 litre batch and use anything from 1.3 to 2 kg of honey.

S'up to you really......

Oh, and I've always found that despite what the recipe says about it being good when it's cleared and the fruit has sunk, that it's much better if you make it, and then bottle it and let it age for 6 months plus......

All the time its actively fermenting, its fine. Once its finished, and you've racked it, then it needs topping to just below the cap to minimise the airspace.......

I first had mead when I was in Ireland. I've never seen a group of people get drunker, faster, than on that stuff. It was sweet but not overly so, and it went down so easy that a whole room full of people went from sitting sedately to uproarious laughter and falling out of their chairs in about 25 minutes.

2 meads, 2 ciders: one from my own blood, sweat and tears
:eek: That's gonna be an interesting one!

Back