Old Dogfish 60 min?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I was at the local Flying Saucer the other day with a home brewing buddy doing some "research" and to take a break we had a 60 min. As always it was delicious and above all I was knocked out by the aroma so I made a promise to pick some up the next day.

I bought my six pack and was not impressed at all. I looked at the date on the bottle and it says it was bottled on 1/21/09. Is this too old for an IPA? Should I take it back to the grocery store, can I?

If I were you, I'd attempt to exchange it but you may not be successful. FWIW, most filtered craft beers are flavor stable for about 4 months. After that, the decline is flavor stability is exponential.

The entire idea around an IPA is that is will last a long time. Call the brewery and tell them that you had an issue.

The entire idea around an IPA is that is will last a long time.

"Lasting" and "tasting as intended" are two completely different things. ;)

Beer is subjected to much mechanical and temperature abuse during travel that accelerates the aging process. For example, I've purchased numerous St Arnold's beers locally (San Antonio) that taste noticeably different than the same beer available at the tasting room in Houston. Part of the difference is age, but most of the difference is attributable to handling abuse.

I second contacting DFH and letting them know. I'm sure they wouldn't be to happy to know there are almost year old sixers still sitting on the shelves.

My opinion is that is not too old for an IPA.
The entire idea around an IPA is that is will last a long time. Call the brewery and tell them that you had an issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with both of you. Bitterness and hop character will fade with time. I've heard the half life of hop bitterness is as low as 6 months at room temperature, so a year old IPA is going to be a shadow of what it was when fresh unless great care is taken with storage.

I sent an email to Dogfish and will keep you all posted when/if I hear back.

I know that the Saucer had it on draft an as a result was a much fresher batch but the difference in taste is much different. It's all bitter and no real hop feel to it at all if that makes sense.

Go to the website and find out how long the shelf life is, if it is beyond that, the store will reimburse you. I frequent the saucer here in Dallas. Where are you on your pint count?

While I'm sure they wouldn't be excited about it, I can't say I'm surprised. Around hear (west coast) DFH 12 oz'ers cost as much or more as good local 22s.

Yea, I feel that. I am in Memphis, TN and still end up paying $12 for a six pack.

Go to the website and find out how long the shelf life is, if it is beyond that, the store will reimburse you. I frequent the saucer here in Dallas. Where are you on your pint count?

I havent signed up for the plate deal. I should, but I really don't go up there that much because it isnt really around the corner from me. Where are you at? I have some friends with plates and some that are just about there.

I havent signed up for the plate deal. I should, but I really don't go up there that much because it isnt really around the corner from me. Where are you at? I have some friends with plates and some that are just about there.
I am only at 12, but I just started going there. After discovering how great the place is, wont take long to get to 200.

Off topic: Do you get to keep a plate as well as get one hung up?

On topic: I'm curious to see how the brewer deals with this. Customer service to me is almost as important as the product.

I want to know how a sixer of DFH60 lasted almost a year on the shelves. It sells like hotcakes here.

Back