Got sidetracked. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I got a little sidetracked, and left my Squeeze My Lemon Summer Blonde in secondary for what's pushing 4 weeks now. . . is it still OK to bottle, and if so, is there any special procedure I should follow?

You're fine, and don't really need to do anything...that is what a secondary is for to bulk age and clear your beeer, some beers are secondaried or lagered for 6 or 12 months.

You may want to run your siphon once along the bottom of the secondary while racking to kick up enough yeast for carbonation, since a lot has settled out. But anything else, no...

You are fine.

You're fine, and don't really need to do anything...that is what a secondary is for to bulk age and clear your beeer, some beers are secondaried or lagered for 6 or 12 months.

You may want to run your siphon once along the bottom of the secondary while racking to kick up enough yeast for carbonation, since a lot has settled out. But anything else, no...

You are fine.

+1 to this. I have secondaried a lot of beers for that long and only had a problem once. I think it had more to do with my daughter pulling out the airlock then the actual process.

Ed

OK, good to know. My cranberry wheat has been tertiarying for that long too. . . if there were a real time crunch, I could do it today, I guess, but I'm taking the PA Bar next Tuesday, and I really should study. . .

What was the temp?

You could just take the clear beer off the trub and add a little dry yeast with your priming sugar.

David :)

Excuse me in advance - But I just realized that 99.99% of the answers to every question on this forum are some variation of "you'll be fine".

And I agree with those answers here, as I almost always do!

If we said "No. It's ruined". Would people actually just take our word for it and dump their beer? Hells no! Further, when you finally drink the first sip are you going to say "damn - this is the best beer I've ever tasted" - again, probably not. So why worry? It's going to turn out how it turns out, and next time, if you wish, you can do something different.

People can say what they want about Charlie Papazian's methods, but RDWHAHB is the absolutely best advice out there, and it really answers just about every question like this.

That's why Revvy rarely asks questions, and frequently gives (no offence) roughly the same answer!

Just a thought...

People can say what they want about Charlie Papazian's methods, but RDWHAHB is the absolutely best advice out there, and it really answers just about every question like this.

That's why Revvy rarely asks questions, and frequently gives (no offence) roughly the same answer!

Just a thought...

You hit the nail on the head...See the very first book I ever read about brewing was Papa Charlie, and it says on nearly every page to RDWHAHB...so from my very first batch of beer I took that to heart. That and patience is my philosophy of brewing.

Unfortunatley, as much as I like How To Brew, I think JP focusses to much detail on those problems, and he writes them so technically that people get so scared that they don't even realize that even he is talking about worst case scenarios.

For example so many new brewers are so freaked out by his section on autolysis that 1) they don't even notice/realize that he is talking about LAGERS and not ales. Lagers are meant to have little or no flavor whatsoever, so any little flaw is glaring when you have something pretty tasteless like a bud light.....To lager means to store, and lagering should take many months, and it makes since that you don't sit a beer that "clean tasting" on yeast for 5-6 months.

Secondly they get so freaked out that they miss the final part of his section;

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

So they get really scared of what in a sense is a bogeyman for the homebrewer.

Basically, new brewers just don't give their beer, and especially the yeast the props they deserve. They forget/don't realize that this has been going on for over 4,000 years in some pretty treacherous conditions and long before we even understood germ theory...Yet beer got made, and it had to have turned out ok, if not downright tasty most of the time or culturally it would have died out like Pepsi Clear or New Coke...It wouldn't be around so big today if beer were that frail.

We say it will be ok, because only in the rarest instance is it not...and even with those batches, if we bottle and forget them for a few months, over 80% of THOSE end up turning out ok....

It really really really is hard to ruin this...besides this is a HOBBY, it is supposed to be something we have FUN DOING, not stress out about.

What was the temp?

You could just take the clear beer off the trub and add a little dry yeast with your priming sugar.

David :)

You really don't need to do that for a measly 4 weeks.....that only becomes a concern if you've been bulk aging something for 6 months or more...The yeasts aren't that sickly....

You really don't need to do that for a measly 4 weeks.....that only becomes a concern if you've been bulk aging something for 6 months or more...The yeasts aren't that sickly....

YEAST. Not yeasts.

I'm less anal about when people are talking about multiple strains now, but come on.

YEAST. Not yeasts.

I'm less anal about when people are talking about multiple strains now, but come on.

Get over it...I usually call them Yeasties to give them personalities too. :D

We're talking about RDWHAHB-ing here....So go get one. :D

Yeast, yeasts, yeasties, Neener neener neener...
icon_OO.gif

Is it bad to want to punch a reverend in the face?

It's bad to want to punch Revvy. You'd have a metric f***ton of homebrewers who will probably be standing behind him.

yeasts yeasts yeasts
It's a plural, non collective noun.

Back