A Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyReynolds

Reaction score
:( Hi, I am rather new to homebrewing and have brewed a Belgian Wit from a kit from William's Brewing, Home Brewing Supplies, Winemaking Supplies, and Home Coffee Roasting. @ Williams Brewing. My wife is a huge fan of Belgian Wits and I was trying to surprise her with. Yesterday, she tried a bottle and hated it. So, I took a sniff and noticed it smelled like hose water. The taste was very similar and was way off. So far, the only thing I can think of is serving it from a pitcher with a bunch of oranges in it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the taste of this beer?

Sure did, but I have used it before and after and have not had the same flavors. Although, I normally make a beer with much more hops. I am planning on switching to bottled spring water going forward, but that does not stop what has already happened. I am just hoping that I can somehow make this beer drinkable.

What kind of yeast did you use. My hose water tastes fine,what's yours like anyway? Or do you just mean it's weak? What were you're O.G. & F.G.?

I'd just give it more time, maybe it'll come around.

sounds like the recipe is off. I make a Wit every 3 weeks or so and have never had an off flavor. Try a brewers best kit or do an AG batch. I think you were short on coriander or bitter orange. The Wit is my "go to" beer while i wait on my others. Give us some brew recipe and method reicpes.

I used Wyeast XL 3944 BELGIAN WITBIER for my yeast. Per the instructions with the kit, I activated it 2 days prior. My OG was 1.060 and my finial was 1.016. It was the first time I used this hose this year and I am thinking maybe there was some water left in it all winter, but I did let it run for a few minutes before filling my boil pot.

Hmm horsewater witbeer. Sounds like someone fermented with brett.

wtf was I reading... hosewater != horsewater.

i think you need to try a Brewrs best kit . I'm doin AG for my wits now but that was my first and they are bullit proof. And stop using the damn hose. Use the sink. It has no rubber in it to taont the water.

Maybe the kit, maybe the water but I still think it may improve over a few more weeks. Don't really know what you could add at this point. You could try cooking with it.

Drinking a Wit right now.... from a High Gravity Mini Mash.... took a couple of bottles to a Wit beer tasting at the local shop and quite a few customers ranked it among their favorite!

+1 on not using the hose water...

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am giving it some more time. I may crack one open tonight to see if it has improved any.

Back