I love fermentation! It's such an exact science!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
After reading countless posts in the cider forum, I decided to take a whack.

I picked up a couple of gallon jugs of apple juice at Costco. Pulled a few cups and boiled them with a pound of brown sugar. I added some yeast nutrient then mixed the sugar mix with the juice and poured them back into the jugs.

I rehydrated a packet of Safale-05 and pitched half to each jug.

This was Sunday evening.

Monday morning, the jug on the right was happily bubbling away while the jug on the left was just starting.

Tonight, the jug on the right has not changed in its activity level while the other has definitely increased its activity.

I just love how exact fermentation science is!

Isn't it wonderful that yeast takes care of wort and apple juice and other things inspite of what we do?

I fumble around stirring my pots and making incantations, throwing in dried flowers from weeds, pinches of dried fish swim bladders and nips of Irish seaweed. I sacrifice samples to a glass tube with a float in it. And, almost no matter what I do, my friend all tell me that the gassy liquid at the end is pretty good stuff!

Analyse the science all you want (I am a Chemist by education), this is still pure MAGIC and damned good FUN!

Thanks to all of you for making this even more enjoyable than it already is! Springing for a Premium Membership. This forum and all of you are damned well worth it!

image.jpg

Sentiment?! I thought we were supposed to rack it to get rid of the sentiment?! :)

Yeah it's pretty remarkable, no matter how old I get I never get sick of consuming alcohol and watching yeast consume sugar.

Back