Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to rack and make my caramel sauce today. It's already in a carboy and I don't have any available. Can I just rack into a brew bucket since I'm just going to bottle it tomorrow anyway?

I'm going to rack and make my caramel sauce today. It's already in a carboy and I don't have any available. Can I just rack into a brew bucket since I'm just going to bottle it tomorrow anyway?

Yeah man. May have a little more cloudiness but nothing that's gonna stop you from drinkin' it!

Why would racking to a bucket make it more cloudy than a carboy?

I swear I gotta get glasses....misread. I was thinkin' you meant just chucking it into a bottling bucket/bottling. Absolutely NO issues in using buckets as secondaries for clarifying. I do that all the time! Maybe I need to have a beer or two before I jump on the forum in the future :cross:

I believe the point he was making is that just the act of racking may cause a little cloudiness. Not relevant what the container is made of. If you rack carefully w/o disturbing the sediment it isn't an issue.

Do I just put the caramel sauce in a Ziploc or something for a day. I assume at room temp.

I threw the caramel sauce in after I made it and it got to room temp. Didnt really see the point in letting it sit, and didnt want to risk contamination. My guess would be a zip lock or a tupperware container would work out fine

I'm with College on that. For my batch, I just considered it "priming sugar" but a slightly more complex method of making it. I made it in a smaller stockpot (1 gallon?) and then after it cooled a small amount, I dumped in all the THAWED but fridge temp cans of concentrate to cool it faster. Then I treated the whole thing as normal priming solution, chucked into the bottling bucket and bottled. I found it easier that way personally.

However, if you do need to store it, just use a sanitized mason jar.

It saddens me to say that yesterday my delicious caramel apple cider committed suicide....or was it murder?! I walked into my closet and the jug was corkless. There it was just....molding. I found the cork about 2 feet away. I had a few mandatory tastes here and there, but this was made specifically for our beach vacation next weekend so I tried my best to stay away from it or let anyone else near it. I think it was sad when it saw a fresh batch of bottles set down beside it. Just shed it's alcoholic cork and that was it. I cried a little.

It saddens me to say that yesterday my delicious caramel apple cider committed suicide....or was it murder?! I walked into my closet and the jug was corkless. There it was just....molding. I found the cork about 2 feet away. I had a few mandatory tastes here and there, but this was made specifically for our beach vacation next weekend so I tried my best to stay away from it or let anyone else near it. I think it was sad when it saw a fresh batch of bottles set down beside it. Just shed it's alcoholic cork and that was it. I cried a little.

:*(

Bummer, if I was closer I'd offer to share for your vacation........I have lots. Of course a week on the beech sounds nice........You buy the plane ticket, I'll bring the caramel apple.............just sayin..................:mug:

Whattawort said:

How far along were you when it blew off?

That is sad... sorry.

How far along were you when it blew off?

That is sad... sorry.

It was done. I had it stowed away in my beer closet. The flavor was right where I wanted it too. I had finally got that cinnamon to caramel ratio right. I've always had trouble with that jug. It doesn't like corks. I can put a cork on it empty and it still tries to throw it. Next time there will be some plastic wrap added to the equation.

Hi, virtual novice here! I'm brewing a strawberry cider and I'm not sure how to remove the strawberries. Do I just strain the whole lot into a secondary container, leave it then freeze it? Any help MUCH appreciated!

It was done. I had it stowed away in my beer closet. The flavor was right where I wanted it too. I had finally got that cinnamon to caramel ratio right. I've always had trouble with that jug. It doesn't like corks. I can put a cork on it empty and it still tries to throw it. Next time there will be some plastic wrap added to the equation.

Yar, 'tis a sad thing you speak of. The Caramel Apple, she be a harsh mistress, and she be demandin' constant attention.

GLOTR! (Good Luck On The Rebrew) :D

Racked to my brew bucket last night. Sg just under 1.010. Gave it a taste, not as dry as apfelwein, but looking forward to bottling in a day or two and tasting the finished cider in a few weeks. Gonna make the caramel sauce the same day that I bottle per your suggestions. Gonna fill at least one Mr. Beer plastic bottle since it's similar to a soda bottle to test for carbonation and know when It's ready to stove pasteurize. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but what is a good baseline feel to know when it's ready to pasteurize? Should it have some flex or be fairly hard to squeeze? This is my first attempt at backsweetening and stovetop pasteurization. Wish me luck!

ForumRunner_20120821_084435.jpg

Hi, virtual novice here! I'm brewing a strawberry cider and I'm not sure how to remove the strawberries. Do I just strain the whole lot into a secondary container, leave it then freeze it? Any help MUCH appreciated!

If you can provide a little more information, that would be helfpul regarding how you have the strawberries in the container, what kind, etc....I'm guessing that you've got them free floating rather than in a bag and probably in a carboy?

The method I have used in the past when using fresh fruit without a mesh bag in a bucket (easiest I have used so far), is to simply use one of the nylon mesh grain bags (sanitized of course) over the end of my auto siphon/racking cane. It's worked out as a pretty good filter...just a bit of material to manage.

pwortiz said:
If you can provide a little more information, that would be helfpul regarding how you have the strawberries in the container, what kind, etc....I'm guessing that you've got them free floating rather than in a bag and probably in a carboy?

The method I have used in the past when using fresh fruit without a mesh bag in a bucket (easiest I have used so far), is to simply use one of the nylon mesh grain bags (sanitized of course) over the end of my auto siphon/racking cane. It's worked out as a pretty good filter...just a bit of material to manage.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Great idea with the mesh bag! I used fresh strawberries boiled in lemon n lime juice...thankyou again

I kegged my cider and only issue I had was that the caramel syrup did not mix well when I racked the cider into the keg. The first several pours were overwhelming with syrup and after that was okay, but I lost some of the caramel flavor. The cider was still good and already planning to make another batch. I'm curious how others that kegged got there syrup mixed well. I racked from secondary on top of caramel syrup and apple juice concentrate.

I kegged my first batch of this recipe today.......All I can say is AMAZING. As I handed my swmbo a taste sample I said "I don't think this will last long." She was in agreement. I bottled a couple of 6er's in case I choose to enter in a competition.

Would you mind sharing the exact process you used to keg it and get good results?

i'm planning on kegging this weekend! I can hardly wait!

Was just told on another thread by someone who loves this recipe that they don't bother with the concentrate only the brown sugar.

Alright all bottled up, been two days and the carb level is nearly perfect already... Only problem I'm having is the floaters going on in my bottles... Looks like seaweed almost. Stringy and slimy looking... Tastes excellent, hoping the floaters don't make me sick whatever they are... Seems like maybe some of the caramel separated and is making those floaters... There is cinnamon in the floaters... Anyone else having this issue,?

Unless someone else chimes in that has good results kegging, I'm going to transfer to a bottling bucket and gently stir while racking the cider in with the syrup. I know this puts it more at risk, but maybe will have better results in getting the caramel syrup mixed.Then I will transfer to the keg and carbonate.

I read some people pasteurize in their oven instead of the stovetop method. Oven sounds safer, better to control 190 degree temp, and easier since I don't have a larger pot. Any thoughts?

Just bottled. Here are some pics. Hydrometer pic is after I added the concentrate and caramel sauce @ 1.025 ish? Bottling and sweetening took a couple hours by myself. Tasted delicious, but maybe a touch too sweet. Will let you know how carbing and pasteurization goes. Wish me luck! Thanks for the great recipe.

ForumRunner_20120823_221435.jpg

ForumRunner_20120823_221453.jpg

ForumRunner_20120823_221510.jpg

ForumRunner_20120823_221535.jpg

ForumRunner_20120823_221606.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120823_221627.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_221627.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 756
If I'm gonna keg this can I skip the pasteurization? I've never made any cider before AND Im kinda new to kegging beer anyway...

If I'm gonna keg this can I skip the pasteurization? I've never made any cider before AND Im kinda new to kegging beer anyway...

Yes. follow the steps for making a still cider, add 5 crushed Campden tablets before racking to your keg. Stovetop pasteurization is only to kill the yeast in the bottles so they don't overcarb.

I read some people pasteurize in their oven instead of the stovetop method. Oven sounds safer, better to control 190 degree temp, and easier since I don't have a larger pot. Any thoughts?

Hey Vox, This sounds like a decent idea, especially if you can do the batch all at once! I guess my only concern would be the proper steps to get to the right temp...how long would you leave it in there? Would you throw all the bottles in FIRST and then turn on the oven so that everything warmed gradually to 190 and then remove?

If you do this, please let us know!

A little off topic, but i found this info. to summarize the highlights:

Ken Schramm, the author of "The Compleat Meadmaker".

The best way to pasteurize in the bottle, sez Ken, is to use your oven.

Put all the bottles into the oven at room temperature, slowly raise the temp to 150F, hold for 25 minutes, turn the oven off, open the door and allow the oven & bottles to cool to room temp again, then chill.

Read more: http://www.brewingkb.com/homebrewing/Pasteurization-in-the-Bottle-3607.html#ixzz24TZj8aom

Yes. follow the steps for making a still cider, add 5 crushed Campden tablets before racking to your keg. Stovetop pasteurization is only to kill the yeast in the bottles so they don't overcarb.

Oh right on. I didn't even think of Campden Tablets. Assuming I can just use Potassium Metabisulfite too since that's the same thing. I'll have to grab one of the two from work. I just became interested in learning the wine/mead/cider stuff.

Sound interesting..... Has anyone tried this yet? Sounds a lot easier then 6 bottles at a time. Heat is heat right??

I have heard of people loading up their dishwasher with bottles and running them through the heated sanitation cycle twice and this pasteurizes them well. sounds practical .

A little off topic, but i found this info. to summarize the highlights:

Ken Schramm, the author of "The Compleat Meadmaker".

Put all the bottles into the oven at room temperature, slowly raise the temp to 150F, hold for 25 minutes, turn the oven off, open the door and allow the oven & bottles to cool to room temp again, then chill.

Read more: http://www.brewingkb.com/homebrewing/Pasteurization-in-the-Bottle-3607.html#ixzz24TZj8aom

Hey Mike, I'm actually reading that book right now. I think I'm going to try this method the next time I make the cider!

pwortiz said:
Hey Mike, I'm actually reading that book right now. I think I'm going to try this method the next time I make the cider!

Read that whole thread. There's warnings about heating up to 150 too quickly and more on how stovetop is more efficient since water transfers heat better than air. Would allow them to cool more slowly too just turning the oven off and opening the door. I read taking them out of the pot and putting them on something room temp can make them blow.

Back