Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadupe01

Reaction score
I brewed a dogfish head 60 min clone on Saturday. Today 48 hours into fermentation I am getting a strong sulfur smell from the airlock. I used a white labs California ale yeast. Is this normal?

Yeasts can produce a variety of compounds during active fermentation that lead to unpleasent smells. Generally lager style yeasts are the worst offenders, but I hate to smell my fementor after the yeast are done because it is never a good smell. RDWAHAHB and let the yeast do their thing. Give them three weeks to clean up their own mess and then package them. I find three weeks in the bottles to be the minimum for most ales for best taste.

i have an imperial belgian wit that had a HUGE sulfur smell... sulfur is by nature extremely volatile and off gases quickly. it's fine i bet.

I've never had any sulfur smells in the many, many brews I've done...

I had worse ONCE - a diaper smell, but that was something gone wrong due to some bad fruit added.

IMO - any smells should be yeasty/malty/hoppy related...

RumRiverBrewer said:

do you have a sealed fermentation chamber. Now that I have a chest freezer, I'm noticing STRONG smells coming off the brews. I stuck my head into the freezer to check the temp sticker on a bucket and burned my eyes from the gases. It's like sniffing paint thinner.

do you have a sealed fermentation chamber. Now that I have a chest freezer, I'm noticing STRONG smells coming off the brews. I stuck my head into the freezer to check the temp sticker on a bucket and burned my eyes from the gases. It's like sniffing paint thinner.

That's how I got when I stuck my head in my bucket after racking for bottling.

Just brewed a Hefe using Wyeast 3068 and had a huge sulfur smell about 24+ hours into fermentation. It filled the room downstairs where the fermenter is and was so bad my wife almost had to leave the room but she soon got used to it. Guess she is used to my sulfur smells after a "rough" night. Now the smell coming from the fermenter is bananas. So much better.

I had worse ONCE - a diaper smell, but that was something gone wrong due to some bad fruit added.

yeasty can be many kinds of smells, maybe it has to do with how individuals perceive smells?

My hefe has a terrible sulfur smell right now. I used 3068. It's been going for about 2 weeks and it's still there. I'm just going to leave it in primary for another 2-3 weeks or so for the yeast to clean up after themselves. My LHBS told me when I first began brewing a few years ago that yeast do sometimes give off sulfur (rotten egg) odors. Relax and let it sit.

I am also fermenting a Hefe with 3068 and getting a noticeable (nothing too strong) sulfur smell, mixed with major banana aroma. My question is, I am moving into a new apartment on the 12th day of primary fermentation and will really need this thing to be bottle on that day. Will any remaining sulfur smell go away in bottles or will it only clear up if left in the primary vessel?

Did you ever use lager yeast? Almost all of them throw significant sulfur and this is quite common.

Back