Post-Fermentation Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensencl

Reaction score
I am wanting to filter the yeast from my beer before moving it into my keg. However, I only have one (1) keg. I know I could buy another keg, but has anyone used a pump to move their fermented un-carbonated beer from their carboy, through a filter and into their keg instead of the "keg-to-keg" with filter in the middle method? Seems to me it would be one less large vessel to clean as well.

Using a pump for this purpose would result in hugely oxidized beer. The reason 2 kegs must be used is to keep the beer in a closed system surrounded and pushed by co2. It cannot be done properly with a pump.

Using a pump for this purpose would result in hugely oxidized beer. The reason 2 kegs must be used is to keep the beer in a closed system surrounded and pushed by co2. It cannot be done properly with a pump.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Don't forget that when you chill your bottles 3+ days in the fridge (after conditioning), much of that yeast in suspension will drop out to the bottom. Same thing with a keg when you are carbing it at below 40*F.

There are some brewing practices you can use to clarify your brew, no filtering needed.

1) bag your hops
2) use 1/2 whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min before the end of the boil
3) after you finish chilling, cover the kettle and let things settle 15-20 minutes
4) leave as much of the break material and other gunk behind in the kettle as you reasonably can
5) when fermentation is done and if you have the means to do it, cold crash 4-5 days @35-36*F. This will cause the beer to clarify and make the trub layer (aka, "yeast muck") much more firm so that it is less likely to get sucked up in your autosiphon/racking cane when transferring to the bottling bucket.

I do these things and have had friends ask what I do to filter my brew. I just smile and say "it's not filtered."

Back