Stressing over outcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBbrew

Reaction score
I am new here and new to brewing. I have my first batch in secondary now and can't wait to drink some. It is an amber ale. My ingest concern is that I was unable to cool wort fast enough and may have pitched yeast a little early. It took about 2 hours to get down to 70 degrees and I pitched at about 90. The yeast seamed to work and had a SG of 1.020 when I moved it to secondary, at it tasted pretty good for a flat warm beer. i plan on bottling in about another week (emptying bottles as I type). Just hoping I didn't screw it up. I am better prepared for next batch. Any bets on the outcome?

I'll bet ya....I bet its fine. But in the future I would cool it down more before pitching. Get a wort chiller, well worth the money invested.

Should be fine.

In beers you don't plan on aging for months or years, the consequences of not chilling fast enough are purely cosmetic; your beer will get "chill haze" when you put the bottles in the fridge.

Pitching too warm can lead to slow yeast starts and off flavors, but there are lots of other variables you're probably not controlling yet which will have a bigger impact, so, yeah... pitch cooler next time, but don't sweat it this time, you're probably fine.

The one thing you should do is take another hydrometer sample before you bottle. At 1.020, it's entirely possible the yeasties are still slowly chewing away at your wort; you wanna be sure they're really all the way done, as demonstrated by two identical hydrometer readings a few days apart, before you bottle, otherwise, you'll get over-carbonated beers.

Also don't transfer until you get to your final gravity. I don't secondary at all and usually go 4 weeks in primary then bottle.

Thanks for the encouragement. Am working on cooler now. Real handy with copper. And I just forgot to take reading before and just left it alone. Will steal a lil in a few days and have a sip and take reading. Hope y'all are right.

Yep, I always do a minimum of 4 weeks, I leave all in primary during that time too. Unless you are dry hopping, adding fruit, etc. not really important to transfer to secondary. Just be patient and let the beer do it's work.

If I were you, try making another batch soon...you will be surprised how fast the batch goes...:)

Bottled today. Forgot to take FG before I put in priming sugar. Got it in the fridge and crossing fingers.

Back