Photos of my herms system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google Chrome will translate the entire site. :rockin:

Yeap, you can do that. And if you comment any post i'll try to answer it in english for you. You see, I'm trying to stimulate the new Brasilian homebrewers. We are years behind you guys in terms of access to equipment; but the scene is changing and the beer revolution is starting to became a reality. Last saturday i made a homebrewing class in my house for some of the newbies. If you look at the blog there are some photos of the class under "1 curso de fabricação" (first fabrication class) . It was awesome. We made 5 g of a red ale and 5 of a belgian strong ale.
That's it, changing minds one at a time. Good brewing for all of you. And, thanks for the inspiration this forum has been to me.

Oi Baquero! Sei que vc colocou este "post" alguns meses atrás, mas quis dizer alguma coisa, apesar disso. Sou americano, mas aprendi português na Universidade Estadual de Michigan; ainda não fui ao Brasil, mas tavlez um dia...se Deus quiser, ne?

Tenho uma pergunta: como vocês refiram ao equipamento de fazer cerveja? Usam muitas palavras de inglês? Ou tem palavras especificas em português para coisas assim. Por exemplo: Carboy, airlock, Mash/Lauter Tun, Hot Liquor Tank, etc. Como se diz?

Tenho curiosidade também sobre isso: o que precisa o Brasil para ser igual a america em fazer cerveja na casa? Acesso mais fácil ao equipamento? Tem uma falta de literatura descrevendo como fazer cerveja? Finalmente, eu posso ajudar?

Abraços,
~Estevão.

P.S. Eu já voltei no quarto de hotel depois de tomar algumas cervejas num "brewpub" local (como se diz "brewpub" em português?!); foi cerveja horrível, cara. Espero que não acordo com ressaca!

bastardbrew said:
Oi Baquero! Sei que vc colocou este "post" alguns meses atrás, mas quis dizer alguma coisa, apesar disso. Sou americano, mas aprendi português na Universidade Estadual de Michigan; ainda não fui ao Brasil, mas tavlez um dia...se Deus quiser, ne?

Tenho uma pergunta: como vocês refiram ao equipamento de fazer cerveja? Usam muitas palavras de inglês? Ou tem palavras especificas em português para coisas assim. Por exemplo: Carboy, airlock, Mash/Lauter Tun, Hot Liquor Tank, etc. Como se diz?

Tenho curiosidade também sobre isso: o que precisa o Brasil para ser igual a america em fazer cerveja na casa? Acesso mais fácil ao equipamento? Tem uma falta de literatura descrevendo como fazer cerveja? Finalmente, eu posso ajudar?

Abraços,
~Estevão.

P.S. Eu já voltei no quarto de hotel depois de tomar algumas cervejas num "brewpub" local (como se diz "brewpub" em português?!); foi cerveja horrível, cara. Espero que não acordo com ressaca!

Ummm how about in English!!!!

Nice....I was a little concerned about your grain crush but the beer looked great. A picture is worth a thousand words. I had no trouble following your thread and I couldn't read a word of it. Great job and liked the music.

You said it yourself!

Google Chrome will translate the entire site. :rockin:

Edit: Chrome got it mostly right. Here is my translation of what I said.

Hey Baquero! I know you made this "post" a few months ago, but I wanted to say something, despite this. I am an American, but I learned Portuguese at Michigan State University; I have not been to Brazil, but perhaps one day ... God willing, right?

I have one question: how do you refer to the equipment to make beer? Do you use words from English? Or do you have specific words in Portuguese for things like that. For example, carboy, airlock, Mash / Lauter Tun Hot Liquor Tank, etc.. How do you say these words?

I'm also curious about this: what does Brazil require to be equal to america in making beer at home? Easier access to equipment? Is there a lack of literature describing how to make beer? Finally, can I help?

Regards,
~ Stephen.

PS I've just gotten back to my hotel room after drinking a few beers in a local "brewpub" (how do you say "brewpub" in Portuguese?), The beer was awful, man. I hope I do not wake with a hangover!

The only Portugese I know is; Uma Cervesa Por Favor!

Worked with a guy from Brasil a few years back at my previous job. Lucky for him, he escaped in a balloon during the Clinton Administration.

Nice site! I did a Google translate and it worked very well. It was easy to understand, even if some word or grammar came across "differently". nice job!

Just want to invite you guys to take a look at my homebrewing blog. There's a lot of photos of my new herms system. The problem is that the blog is in Portuguese, but the image language is universal.
www.cervejaartesanalonline.blogspot.com

Regards
Rodrigo Baquero

Nice. I bet your beers would go great with Seu Jorge playing and some nice Brazillian BBQ!

Hey Stephen, first of all, your portuguese is impressive for someone that have never been to Brazil. Also, i was very pleased to see all of you guys visiting my blog. I guess this really shows the spirit of collaboration and friendship of the homebrewers community around the world. After all, i was inspired for all the good work and fantastic ideas from yours brewing systems and the great discussions of this forum. This forum is really awesome.
Well, answering Stephen questions, Brazil is now discovering the world of beers. Not long time ago we didn't have any other beer than those watery and flavorless lagers that the industry forced us to drink. That was, initially, the motivation to start the homebrewing movement. What is happening here is something like you had a couple of decades ago; the revolution of beer. For the past 6-8 years we've seen a continuous growth of the homebrewing scene, despite the challenges we face.
We have just a couple of suppliers for equipment, grains, hops.... and all the information on how to brew is based in your books. Still there's no portuguese publication on how to make beer. We import the classics: Palmer; Papazian; Daniels; Mosher; Noonan; Zainasheff....and so on. This is great for those who understand the language, but it creates a lot of misconceptions on the subject for those that doesn't read english or are not interested in studding it (the brewing process).
The other problem we face is the lack of proper brewing equipment. Thank's god we, homebrewers, are creative people and we manage this in various ways.
About the words we use to refer to the brewing equipment, we have some of them, but we also use lots of words in english. So here we go with some translations:

Homebrewer: cervejeiro caseiro or cervejeiro artesanal (craftbrewer)
Airlock is just airlock
Carboy: balde de fermentação (fermentation bucket)
Mash: brassagem
Mash tun: tanque de brassagem
Hot Liquor tank: tanque de água quente
Boil Kettle: tanque de fervura
Wort: mosto
yeast: fermento or levedura
chiller: trocador de calor (heat exchanger)

and, finally, beer: cerveja

Cheers : saúde!!!
Rodrigo Baquero

Back