How dark is blackberry mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankfurtvr4

Reaction score
I have a request for a Blackberry Mead. The person wants a "dark colored" mead for a theme party.

Any thoughts?

I have made it 2 times, and both ended up kind of pink. I think it would take a whole lot of blackerries to end up with red or black. Maybe some sort of coloring would help.

It should be the color of red wine if you keep it out of the sun. Blackberries bleach in direct (and sometimes indirect sunlight).

I just made a blackberry mead using frozen store bought balckberries and it is very, very dark. I used 8 lbs of blackberries in 5 gallons, for what that is worth.

My attempts at blackberry mead have all come out like a rose wine.

So it would depend on how long you have before you need it, as it might be better just to use a traditional one and red/black food colouring.....

Or blackberry mead that's high in fruit and flavour and a little food colouring...

regards

fatbloke

My attempts at blackberry mead have all come out like a rose wine.

Sounds like too little fruit, or the results of steam juicing.

Frank, use at least 4 pounds of fruit per gallon, and ferment on the fruit and it will be as dark as any good red wine. It also helps to use a yeast good for fixing color.

Thank you for the tips. Looks like food coloring. That just makes me feel dirty inside.

Back