Chest Freezer Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattahooch

Reaction score
Im trying to find a good used chest freezer to make my first kegerator. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for the minimum size I would want. I was also thinking about using it to both chill for dispensing and lagering. I was thinking of using a ferm heater or heating pad, a stopper well and a temp controller and some insulation between the fermenter and the kegs. I was hoping that with proper insulation, I could avoid a second fridge or a second temp controller. I wouldnt be opposed to using a second temp controller but i definitely dont have the room for two large appliances. If anyone can help, Cheers! Also, if anyone knows about painting an appliance like this, Id appreciate input.

Thanks All

Well, the second temp control would have to control a heater... which would make the freezer come back on.... hmmm.
Depends on how cool you like your brews and what temp you want to lager. IF you could live with 40F (or whatever) for both, one controller would do both.

My 7cu ft GE is too small !!! 4 cornys. tight! No room for carboys lagering...
so I recommend larger than 7 ft.

starting over, I'd measure the footprint I want to place it, and get the biggest one I could find to fit it. If it's too big, you can always add some shelving and keep bottled beers and cokes in it!

Thanks fellow South Carolinian. Do you think I could use a ferm wrap heater, say at 5-15 degrees F, and put some foam insulation between the fermenter and the kegs and keep the temperature probe in the keg side? How reliable are the heaters at maintaining a temp? Would it be reasonable to use a basic liquid thermometer to monitor the lagering or does it need absolute precision. Obviously you dont have room to lager but you can perhaps give me some pointers on building a collar. Im really looking forward to taking on this project. Thanks for your input.

Fermwrap heater, a little foam insulation to separate from lagering - sounds good. Don't know, haven't tried it. All I make are ales, and mine go from secondary into the kegs (kegerator) no lagering. Perhaps someone else will chime in....?
I liked my collar/kegerator until I began seeing the handiwork of some of the others here...now mine seems 'functional':(

However, in the DIY forum, under the 'sticky's - there are hours of threads to look thru for ideas. Some collars sit on the base, others are mounted to the lid. Some are covered in brick and tile, with the taps on all kinds of towers. Some folks have 12 perlicks :rockin: going, with a plaid paint scheme on the way.

The basics for the collar are 2x4 on edge, frame the top or base. When attached to the base, sometimes faced out with a 1x6 to hang around the edge. Paint or stain, silicone to the top or bottom. The whole idea of a collar is twofold: to give you more height inside the freezer - utilizing the compressor hump - and to give you something to mount the shanks and taps to. You certainly don't want to drill thru the wall of the freezer - the freon lines wrap around under the skin.

Back