Gravity at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently made a milk stout from a kit from the lhbs and had issues with the sg which was meant to be about .068 but I somehow managed to get .08 fast forward three weeks and my gravity is holding at .030. The question is am I ok to bottle this , will the beer wind up being sweet , will I need to worry about bottle bombs or maybe pitch a yeast that can handle the higher abv?
Thank you for any input!

Sounds like you didn't get the wort & top off water mixed well enough to get such a low OG. What was the temp of the wort when you pitched?

I was about 70 degrees , the wort was about as mixed as you can get , after top off water was added I picked up the carboy and vigorously shook it about

It will be sweet... Try a stronger yeast strain t bring it down before you bottle. But it depends on the fermentables of course, but it since it is a kit I would think you have fermentables left. Get some Nottingham and throw in there. Seriously, if it is stalled, Nottingham will kick its ass.

Has the "FG" been steady over multiple days? If so, OK to bottle, if not, let it ferment longer.

Not so,

If the yeast has reached its attenuation then it's not going any further. That doesn't mean there are not moe fermentable sugars in it. You can put another higher attenuating yeast in it. Like I said a second ago, try Nottingham. That crap is a bastard. It'll eat your house if it has sugar in it.

It would help to see the recipe, but 1.030 is dog-gone high for FG.

It would be possible if there was a ton of non-fermentables. But it would be very unusual.

The gravity was steady at 1.030 for a few days , the yeast itself was a week old wyeast smack pack , can't seem to find my recipe at the moment but I believe that labeling on it called it a red ale yeast , and as it the flavor it is kind of sweet but not too awful bad.

Back