Quad breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyr2973

Reaction score
I am familiar with tandem circuit breakers but my electric panel is full and since I'm only going to be in this house another year or so, I was wondering if I could switch out 2 of my 20amp breakers with the one below and then run my electric brewery (Kal clone with one element running at a time.

image-1701386162.jpg

Yeah....but if you're running on 240 then you have to be sure to run on both legs and the breaker handles need to be tied. Hard to know for sure from the picture but the center two poles seem to fulfill both requirements.

Another possible consideration might be panel fill/loading. I don't know if there is any code that would prohibit it based on panel fill/potential loading. IOW, if you have a 20 circuit panel and put this in and now you have 22 circuits, is that any sort of code violation?

I thought about it but my house was built in the 60's and the panel is out back so that would mean a waterproof circuit box and then the wire. Just seems like it would be easier to throw the quad in and be done with it until moving day.

that breaker will work if you have split tabs on your buss bar. If your panel has the notched buss it is ussually only present on the bottom 4 or 5 spaces. There are ways to rig the breaker to fit into any spot on the buss, but it is not recommended to do so.

Right, you're supposed to use only breaker types listed by the panel. So if the panel doesn't say you it supports the double density breakers you should not use that style breaker. Those are usually more for the small 12 circuit panels where they have only 6 actual breaker spaces.

Actually that's exactly what I have, the small panel. It's a main lug panel not a main breaker and it's a 12 slot. Right side is all 220 x 3 circuits, left side is all 110 20amp.

Back