As easy as ginger beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcx999

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new user here, first time brewer.

Made my first brew of alcoholic ginger beer, found it very simple and satisfying. Planning on brewing beer in the future.

Just wondering whether there are any other recipes that are similar to ginger beer (in how easy they are to make) but using a different fruit or vegetable.

For example, ginger beer is ginger, sugar, yeast and water (and perhaps a couple of spices and raisins). Are there any recipes that just substitute the ginger for something else, say raspberries or spices or something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I just made an alcoholic ginger ale. I pretty much used a regular ginger ale recipe. So it had lemon juice and zest. And cream of tartar. I am going to drop a basket of raspberries in there tonight. I imagine yeast will indiscriminately covert sugar to alcohol, so you could substitute ginger for beef hotdogs. It's really up to your imagination, though it seems you can find a recipe for anything on the net. I recently made fresh almond milk and then fermented it with nasty Mr Beer yeast. I smelled like playdough for the most part. And you know what? I bottled it anyway.

Hey, I just made an alcoholic ginger ale. I pretty much used a regular ginger ale recipe. So it had lemon juice and zest. And cream of tartar. I am going to drop a basket of raspberries in there tonight. I imagine yeast will indiscriminately covert sugar to alcohol, so you could substitute ginger for beef hotdogs. It's really up to your imagination, though it seems you can find a recipe for anything on the net. I recently made fresh almond milk and then fermented it with nasty Mr Beer yeast. I smelled like playdough for the most part. And you know what? I bottled it anyway.

Yeah, forgot to mention the lemon juice. And yeah, that's what I thought, I might throw in some raspberries too. I've read people doing this with just strawberries (which I thought would be good) but apparently it doesn't work well - something to do with the flavour of strawberries not going through the fermentation well.

Anyone shed any light on why this is or just what fruits do and don't work well?

...hot dog beer...ha!

hot dogs lol..I'm funny. But actually i would avoid the nitrites.
I am making a blueberry beer. While researching 'fruit beer' I noticed a post about how some fruit works better than others. But it's only a guide for starting. Apparently raspberries are one of the easiest fruits to infuse in beer and.. whatever. I think it's really up to you, like trying to imagine the fruit and flavors, doing a little research about products that use ingredients together is always a good sign. Like how Maui Brewery kind of ignited the whole idea of coconuts in porter. Simple idea done right.

Anyway, this newbie forum doesn't respond too well to my 'fruit beer' thread. Something about fruit doesn't incite response even though apparently newbies love to use fruit in some of their first brews.

This is a few years behind, but do you have the original recipe you used for ginger beer? I've done several ales, but now I'm looking towards other things. Do you know the ABV?

Back