High SG IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richievrs

Reaction score
Hi everybody this a great site and I have learned so much from here in the last few weeks.

I plan on making an IPA with a OG 1074 and FG of 1018, I plan on using S 04 ale yeast will the yeast be able to ferment to over 7% ABV. I will be using pre hopped extract and DME to make the 20 l of IPA and plan to dry hop with fuggles how many grams of pellet hops should I use for this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I will keep you up to date with my efforts

I did an 11% barleywine with S04. It's having a little trouble with bottle carbonation but it's even getting that done.

The tolerance is stated to be 10% but it seems even that can be pushed a little.

It should be able to handle that alcohol level no problem. I usually dry hop with at least an ounce which i think is about 26g

could you post your recipe, including quantities? what is the split between pre-hopped LME and un-hopped DME? will you be adding any hops during the boil?

20 litres = 5.25 gallons... how hoppy do you like your beer? my experience has been that europeans typically don't like the crazy hopiness that some north americans hop-heads attain with their beer. are you going for a traditional IPA, or a more intense version?

I have just made 3 batches using coopers kits I have a st. Peters ruby red ale in my FV at the moment. I don't have that much space or time yet to do any brewing with grains but hope to be able later this year. My recipe is as follows

3.4 kgs coopers IPA
1 kg of muntons plain light DME
0.5 kgs of corn sugar or 0.5 kgs crystal 60 to steep and boil my hops in if I use them to bitter
30g of fuggles to dry hop for a week
S 04 yeast

I have never used hops before so that is why I decided to get pre hoped LME. I do like hoppy beer and would like to make a it strong ABV around 7%. It's a great hobby I really enjoy the process

using corn will yield a slightly higher alcohol, slightly less flavorful and lighter color result than the crystal. your call there, but i'd go with the crystal (maybe bump up to 0.75-0.8 kgs to get the same ABV as the half kilo of sugar).

i've never used munton's pre-hopped, but if it's their IPA i imagine is on the higher end of their offerings in terms of hoppiness. 30g of fuggles is on the lower end for dry-hopping, not badly so but that won't give you a really strong hop aroma. dry hopping adds only a little to flavor and does nothing for bitterness, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in some hops at 60 minutes (start of boil) and at 15-10 minutes before the end.

if i may suggest some numbers:
15-20 grams of fuggles at 60 mins for bitterness (again, would depend on how much bitterness the muntons brings)
20-30 grams at 10 mins for flavor
45 grams for dry-hopping.

i went with fuggle assuming that what you have on hand and/or like, but feel free to slot other types of hop in there.

whatever you decide to do, let us know - and report back with the results in a few months!

EDIT: got bored, so i plugged your numbers into hopville: http://hopville.com/recipe/1176814/english-ipa-recipes/richievrs-high-sg-ipa (don't forgot to switch to metric units - click the tab at the bottom of the recipe). the IBUs are wrong because the website didn't take into consideration the hops in the muntons (calculator fail!). also, the IBUs will change depending on how much you boil (vs. how much cold water you add later), if you do late extract additions, your efficiency in steeping the grains, etc.

Hi guys just brewed the IPA Sunday night

3.5 kgs coopers IPA
1 kg muntons light DME
0.6 kg crystal 60

Made a hop tea with 10g of fuggles
The OG was 1.074 and I hope it will finish around 1.016. S04 rehydrated and had started fermenting in 7 hours now have a 4" head of foam can't wait

image-3544958653.jpg

Back