First Brewday problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
So, this is going to sound real dumb, but we are at the point of boiling the wort right after steeping the grains.

thing is, it wont boil.

We have been standing around forever and the temp has been going up, but not in the traditional boil sence. We used a cover to speed the boil up and it can boil, but then when the cover is removed it stops.

The temp is a bit over 200, but there is only slight movement in the mix.

Are we good to go? or should it try to get more heat?

It sounds like you might be low on propane or your burner just does not have enough BTUs to maintain a boil.

or are you working on an electric stove?

at my old place i used to have problems getting it to boil. best thing to do is a partial boil with as little water as possible (i wouldn't go less than 2 gallons tho)

i made quite a few beers without technically having a boil and they all turned out great. just mix your extract in well and it should be fine.

200 should be high enough to extract the bitterness you want out of the hops.

The other effect of boiling is the sanitizing factor. At 200 degrees though, I think you will be fine.

Move forward according to schedule.

that is what we assumed, and we have done so, but there really was no boil over explosion. It frothed, but nothing that was what we were expecting with all the "watch for boil over" warnings on the instructions.

is that normal and could that be because its not a full on boil?

Thank you all so much for the help btw :mug:

Yah, there was no risk for a boil over because your wort being at 200 degrees. I usually get a good rolling boil at about 212 degrees. I believe once the temp goes over that is when the boil overs happen. Dont assume your next batch will be safe from boil over risk, keep an eye out because they happen in the flash of an eye.

Just get it as hot as you can and go from there (do u have any other choice?)

For the future, SERIOUSLY think about getting a propane burner.

I too have a fancy ceramic top stove that can't boil a pot larger than 12qts.

so I switched to all grain, and boil on my porch with a propane burner.

I guess I'm super lucky. I have 5.5 gals boiling on my electric stovetop right now. However, once the temp drops outside, I'm moving to propane since I already have the turkey fryer. Can't wait for the stares from the rest of my apt complex!!! :rockin:

Back