torrified wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I bought some torrified wheat, whole grains. I realized I have no idea how to use it. I was planning on putting it in with the mash. Is that right?

Yes, but it will have to be cracked just like the rest of your barley and you will need to mash it with other pale malts that have the diastic power to convert it.

ScottT said:
Yes, but it will have to be cracked just like the rest of your barley and you will need to mash it with other pale malts that have the diastic power to converth it.

I obviously plan on cracking it, but I have no idea what you're saying about diastic power. Can you elaborate on that? I assume that it has to do with the enzymatic properties of the other malts, but since I've never done a true mash, mostly just steeping, I don't know much about this. Your feedback is apprecciated.

You are correct, the diastic power is refering to the grains ability to convert other grains in the mash.

Doing a mini mash isn't that much different than doing a steep. Just limit the amount of water you use to 1.5 qts / lb of grain and use an equal amount of pale malt to whatever other grains you are using. The pale malt will convert the other starches too.

Back