Parenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Before having your first child did you read any particular books, attend any classes, or did you just learn as you went?

Best. Parenting Book. Ever.

1400082285.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400082285/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Actually, we went to some classes for the birthing process, but nothing for parenting per se. We're wingin' it. Babycenter.com has some good content, too. But, it's mostly learning from doing, and talking to our own mothers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read, watched videos, talked to friends, and then learned as I went. So, does your wife have a brew in the fermenter? Congrats!

TxBrew said:
Before having your first child did you read any particular books, attend any classes, or did you just learn as you went?

We did a class on what to expect during the birthing process. My wife read a lot of books, I read only one: What to expect when your wife's expanding.

It gave me a lot of needed insight. I highly recommend it.

You know those 'life comes at you fast' commercials for Nationswide? SWMBO and I have been raising our grandson for the last 3 years. She has had experience, for me it's learn on the fly.:D

Cam is the 7th of eight grandchildren so I had "hands-on" experience well before he was born, starting when I was an early teen.

I'm still an amateur all these years later LOL

I had two siblings that are considerably younger than I am, so I know all the basics. I read some articles in parenting magazines, but that's about it.

I didn't read any books. I find that I tend to raise my daughter the same way my parents raised me. So I guess you can say I learned from them.

erbiumyag said:
I didn't read any books. I find that I tend to raise my daughter the same way my parents raised me. So I guess you can say I learned from them.

I aim for the "Opposite of how I was raised" approach.

My wife got me this book when she was pregnant, I liked it since it had a lot of humor. It gives some good pratical advice like making up 6 bottles at a time and storing them in a six pack holder :mug:
Be Prepared: A Practical HAndbook for New Dads

Also go to babycenter.com and sign up for their weekly newsletter. They have one for Mom's and One for Dad's. You enter in the due date and they send you a weekly update on whats going on, from conception and on into the toddler years.

Wolf said:
Also go to babycenter.com and sign up for their weekly newsletter. They have one for Mom's and One for Dad's. You enter in the due date and they send you a weekly update on whats going on, from conception and on into the toddler years.

Ya, we got those - they were pretty cool

rdwj said:
Ya, we got those - they were pretty cool

Yeah, very often we'll start to wonder about something like how long she should be sleeping at night and the next newsletter will have it as a topic. Very good stuff.
Stay away from the forums though, like every other forum (that isn't a homebrew site) every post turns into a flamewar. According to the posters no one raises their kids right. Just stick with the newsletter.

Wolf said:
Stay away from the forums though, like every other forum (that isn't a homebrew site) every post turns into a flamewar. According to the posters no one raises their kids right. Just stick with the newsletter.

My wife's board (where she used to be a bigger post-whore than me) actually grew out of the babycenter boards, they had all grown sick and tired of the insane amount of flaming and judgmental people on babycenter. Of course, her board then completely imploded about six months ago because it, too, was filled mostly with stay-at-home mommies with messed up hormones and a desperate need for drama in their lives...

Chimone said:
somehow I find that hard to believe :drunk: :cross:

She was close to 10,000, I don't know over how long a period. IIRC, her post-per-day average was something like 40. But, they don't enforce even a 10-character minimum, so 90% of the posts on her board are completely worthless. "OMG!" "LOL!" :rolleyes:

Back