How late is too late to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToV

Reaction score
In the Vermont area?

I know hops rhizomes are ordered in the March-May window, but how late can they be planted?

It is looking more and more likely that I will be moving to the Vermont area between May and August, so I feel silly ordering and planting hops here in Florida and then leave them.

Alternatively how large would a potted hop plant grow in that time frame?

I understand that I may be pushing it too far to be able to plant this year, but if it is possible I would rather not have to wait another year.

They are perennials and can be easily planted in the early fall. Basically you want them in the ground to start putting down roots before a hard freeze.

Just put them in gallon pots for this year and cut them back to 3-4 feet for the move. Any growth this year will translate to better growth next year.

I would NOT move potted plants from FLA to Vermont.

I would dig them up when you move and refridgerate them in plastic and newspaper for a week at most, re-plant.

No crop that year, but they will be established.

As with anything else here your going to get a bunch of differering opinions. Planting them for two months will be a waste of time. The shock of that and the move and the replanting will waste your season. Better to bag it this spring and plant fresh when you move.

I am in Austin and wondering the same thing.. Haven't had the $ to spend on nice Cedar like I had hoped.

Hops transplant extremely well, if they didn't you'd never get a rhizome to perform.

Back