I need a mash schedule for Karameliet Tripple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
The recipe has quite a bit of wheat, so I would like to do a protein rest. If I do that, how long and at what temp should I do the sacharific rest?

I don't recommend doing a protein rest unless you actually need one. If the Kolbach index on your wheat malt is 36 or under, or if total protein is over 13%, then a protein rest may be appropriate. But typically wheat malt is 38+ and 12%, respectively.

I would also recommend a protein rest if the weighted average of your mash's Kolbach is under 36, or if the weighted average is over 13% protein.

Is the Kolbach index something I can calculate? Or does my homebrew store know this?

Kolbach is a measure of the modification of the malt. It's the ratio of soluble nitrogen to total nitrogen. (Nitrogen = protein). Bags of malt should come with either a "typical" analysis or a batch-specific analysis, and your brew store should have these on file. The exact data varies, but every analysis I've seen gives soluble and total nitrogen, and many will you the Kolbach index.

The long and short of it is, unless you're using a ton of poorly modified wheat malt (like 50%+) or a ton of raw wheat (probably 30%+) a protein rest probably isn't necessary or wise.

Back