90 minute boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking over all kinds of AG recipes now that I have the bug and I've come across some 90 minute boils, what is the benefit? Use less hops? Or is 90 beyond their utilization limits anyhow?

Thanks!

answers that immediately come to mind is firstly the reduction of dms (i keep reading about it, have yet to encounter it myself), a chance to increase your mash efficiency by having more usable water, and probably most common, a slight increase in hop utilization. i forget what Palmer says in his book, but i think you get ~95 % utilization at 60 min, then the number slowly increases after that. you get more at 90, not much, but some.

Yes main reason is to reduce DMS. Not really necessary for your normal 2-row domestic malts, but recommended for pilsener malts. I do 90 minute boils for lagers, but haven't felt the need to for ales.

1- reduction of DMS precursors
2- increased hop utilization (but not too much - just throw in an extra quarter ounce cheapskate)
3- ability to boil off more, meaning you can sparge with more water, thereby extracting more sugars into your wort

Still, I'd rather have my brew session be 30 mins shorter.

I've done a comparison on the efficiency subject. First batch was a 60 min boil, the next a 90 min boil with more sparge water. Same equipment and ingredients, no difference at all in efficiency.

I have been doing a 90-110 min boil for the last several beers. Mainly due to having to having bad sparge eff. and collecting almost 10 gal of runoff. I let it boil to a known mark on the kettle where I begin the 60 min boil by the first hop addition.

It does help my total eff, plus I usually find something constructive to do after it gets to a boil for 30 or 45 min. I wouldn't leave it unattended if brewing outside with wind, but I'm in the basement (ventilated, flamers :)) and the burner is at very low flame.

One reason I asked is because I'm always seeking Fuller's ESB clone that is correct. So now that I'm doing AG I came across this recipe which has a 90 min boil...

http://chrissimental.com/brewblog/index.php?page=brewBlogDetail&id=23

I could of course scale the IBU's to a 60 min. boil with beersmith but just wasn't sure about the 90 minute thing.

I have a 10 gal. kettle and my 5.25 finals require just about 8 gal for a 60 min. (Kettle is wide and has mega evap, at least 18% + loss of .5-.75 trub) so I would have to load her up even more for another 30 min of boil/evap to take place.

If you no sparge brew, you will an eff. increase with a 90 minute boil. The higher your boil off rate, the more water you use, the higher your eff. with no sparge. The more wort you start with, the more you will boil off, the better your ratio of "lost" wort to "total wort" which will increase your eff.

I always 90 miunte boil, since it doesnt cost much with electric kettles.

Its pretty much a must on my system when brewing bigger beers. Maintaining a reasonable mash thickness creates more runoff which needs to be concentrated for the final beer.

Back